This month we are back in the Wolds for a great spring walk from Binbrook.
Binbrook takes its name from ‘Bynna’s’ brook, the stream below the church and was a substantial settlement by the time of the Domesday Book.
The large church dates from 1869 was designed by the Louth architect James Fowler and is dedicated to both St Mary and St Gabriel for (unusually) Binbrook was once two parishes so this ‘new’ church replaced two earlier ones.
On returning to Binbrook we pass the renovated village pump with its hitching rings for horses when water carts were filled there.
Opposite is the Old Police House built in 1852 when Binbrook had a lawless reputation and needed a paid constable.
There has been an inn on the site of the Plough since at least the 1850’s.
The ‘Lincolnshire Rising’ of 1536 began in Louth. In his 1st October Sunday sermon the vicar told of the impending dissolution of Louth Priory.
The next morning there were riots and a march to Lincoln was organised.
Once word soon spread the men from Louth met more rebels from Grimsby, Horncastle, Caistor and Market Rasen at Great Tows (GR226904) outside Binbrook and by Friday they reached Lincoln.
King Henry VIII refused their demands, the leaders were executed and the episode gave rise to Henry’s famous comment about Lincolnshire being ‘the most brute and beastly shire in the realm’.
Great Tows, a large farm surrounded by trees, can be seen from our walk.
NOTES: Readers may park at the Plough Inn.
ABOUT THE WALK:
START: Plough Inn, Binbrook. (GR211939)
OS MAPS: Landranger 113 (Grimsby) - Explorer 282.
DISTANCE: 6¼ miles - 10 kilometres.
REFRESHMENTS: Plough Inn, Binbrook.
From the rear of the inn carpark turn left along High Street out of the village. This becomes Ludford Road, take the enclosed footpath on the right. From a stile bear half left across the field corner, cross a track and keep ahead up a field to a hedge gap with a waymark. Maintain your line in the next field to another waymarked hedge gap and in the third field head towards a tree at a hedge gap. There are two tracks here; go left on the second one. At a road turn right.About a mile after a left-hand bend the road turns right; go left along the bridleway behind the hedge for another mile to the next lane. 200 yards ahead, where this lane bends right, (towards Great Tows) turn left through a hedge gap at a footpath sign. Cross the field and walk alongside woods to reach a farm track. Zigzag left then right continuing, beside more woods, but with the trees now to your right. Keep ahead, high above the valley past an information board, through a small wood and downhill to the road at Binbrook. Crossand turn left. Just before the church, take the path on the right. (Keep to the right of the fence and not up gravel drive!) At the next road go left past the water pump and the old police station to reach the Market Place and return to the inn.