UPDATE: ‘Magnifying glass and sun’ caused fire at Boston home

Breaking news from the Boston Standard, Lincolnshire: bostonstandard.co.uk, on Twitter @standardboston
Breaking news from the Boston Standard, Lincolnshire: bostonstandard.co.uk, on Twitter @standardboston

Fire and rescue have said that a blaze at a Boston home was suspected to have been caused by the reflection from the sun on a magnifying glass.

Crews from Boston, Kirton and Leverton attended a conservatory fire at a semi-detached property in Sunningdale Drive at 11.03am.

The fire was extinguished using four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets and a thermal imaging camera.

A spokesman said there was severe damage by fire and smoke to a 5mx5m UPVC conservatory, severe damage by smoke and moderate damage by fire to a dining room and light damage by smoke to the kitchen.

Meanwhile, outside there was severe damage by fire to 10m of fencing, facia boards and guttering.

The spokesman added that the suspected cause of the fire was the reflection from the sun onto a magnifying glass, which ignited a set of curtains.