Greene rules out Boston United swoop for Ricky Miller, but out-of-contract players are expected to return

Ricky Miller.
Ricky Miller.

Boston United manager 
Dennis Greene has ruled out making a move for his former leading scorer Ricky Miller.

The 26-year-old netted 28 times for the Pilgrims in the 2013-14 campaign, also claiming the Conference North Player of the Year accolade.

But as United reported back for pre-season training last summer, out-of-contract Miller - who looked set to return to the Jakemans Stadium - announced that he was joining League Two Luton Town.

The forward has since had his contract terminated by the Hatters, but Greene - who has previously stated that he believes Miller would have remained with United last season were it not for his agent looking for a better deal elsewhere - says he has no interest in offering the striker a third stint with Boston.

“Absolutely not,” he said.

“I think Ricky wants to be playing his football at National Conference level, at least, or higher than that. Plus he’s got an agent, so it’s not something we’ll be looking at.”

The reasons given by Greene may be purely footballing ones, but Miller currently has some off-the-field issues to deal with.

Last Tuesday he was charged with five offences in connection with incidents in Fenny Stratford and Hockliffe on April 27.

A Bedfordshire police spokesperson confirmed that the charges included two counts of using threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour with intent to cause fear or provoke violence, one count of racially aggravated use of threatening words or behaviour, one count of racially aggravated common assault and one count of assault by beating.

Miller has been bailed with conditions and is due to appear at Luton Magistrates’ Court on June 25.

However, Greene says he is confident that the majority of last season’s squad who have since become free agents will return for pre-season training next month.

Out-of-contract Nicky Walker and Marc Newsham, plus non-contract players Jamie McGhee, Rene Steer and Liam Marrs have all been asked to remain with the club.

The only player who hasn’t shown an interest in returning is Michael Hollingsworth, who has joined Grantham Town.

“Everybody’s been invited back,” the manager added. I’m expecting everybody, except for Hollingsworth. I hope to have them all with us for training and nobody has told me otherwise.”

Greene also 
confirmed that youth team product Louis Saebe remains in his plans, although young 
defender Ollie Price has taken up a scholarship in the USA.