Mickey Stones believes Boston United must get tougher after lacklustre defeat at Nuneaton

Mickey Stones.
Mickey Stones.

MICKEY Stones has called on Boston United to get tougher on the pitch – following last night’s defeat at Nuneaton Town.

The Pilgrims went down 2-0 at Liberty Way.

And Stones, making his first appearance of the Blue Square Bet North campaign, reckons there is plenty of room for improvement.

“We were a bit nice and quiet. We need to be men a bit more,” he said.

“I haven’t argued with anyone today and that’s not like me.

“We all get on in the dressing room, but out there we need to be at each other a bit more.

“Once we find our feet we’ll definitely get better.”

Stones came close to marking his first start with a goal, but found himself repeatedly thwarted by Borough keeper Adam Collett, even from close range.

“We missed a few today, but you should still be able to score from six yards, whatever standard it is,” Stones added, criticising his own finishing.

“On another day I should have had two or three.”

Joint manager Lee Canoville was frustrated by his side’s slow start, and also their inability to get into the game straight from the re-start.

“Today I was very disappointed with the second half performance,” he said.

“We wanted to put them under pressure and they still controlled much of the game.”

It was another night to forget for United, who are now without a win in three matches.

That opening day victory at Workington seems even more of a distant memory as they were defeated by Nuneaton, who had not won in their opening three matches.

United were lacklustre for most of the contest, despite a late flurry and a few chances for Stones.

Danny Glover and Robbie Burns had both forced good saves from Paul Bastock early on before Borough took a 27th minute lead, Adam Walker’s clever through ball allowed Lee Smith to fire into the roof of the net.

The defining second came five minutes after the break, when the United defence were nowhere to be seen as Burns headed home Smith’s cross.

United carved out chances, but failed to convert.

Stones saw a first-half effort from close range well-saved by Collett.

The forward was again denied after the break as Collett palmed away a header and a close-range volley, before another effort was nodded off the line by Nuneaton captain Mark Noon.

Marc Newsham also brought a save from Collett and Jason Lee – bringing himself on in the second half – headed wide.

In a night to forget for Boston, the only solace they could take was that Eddie Nisevic’s stoppage-time effort struck the post instead of finding the net.

NUNEATON: Collett, Ward, James, Noon, Dean, Albrighton, Burns, Walker (Lavery 49), Glover, Smith (Marsden 87), Moore (Nisevic 90); Subs (not used): Hadland, Belcher.

UNITED: Bastock, Fairclough, Jelleyman, Hall, Austin, Parker, Millson, Milnes (Lee 66), Stones, Newsham, Holsgrove (Semple 56); Subs (not used): Deane, Ward, Ogden.

Att: 765. Ref: Guy Stretton.