Workington 1 Boston United 1: Late heartbreak yet again for Pilgrims

Marc Newsham.
Marc Newsham.

Boston United conceded a stoppage-time goal for the second time in a week as they drew at Workington.

Marc Newsham looked to have earned United all three points with a 47th-minute tap-in.

But in the third minute of time added on, Kyle May’s glancing header snatched a point for the Reds.

You would have thought the Pilgrims would have learned their lesson following their last-gasp defeat at Corby on New Year’s Day.

But no.

The Pilgrims had a golden chance to take a ninth-minute lead when Newsham and Jordan Smith broke through.

However, Newsham’s weak cross was intercepted by keeper Jonathan Mitchell.

The Reds responded with Jonny Wright’s strike, from the edge of the United 18-yard box, whistling wide of Dan Haystead’s upright.

Boston received a let-off when Joe Mwasile stole the ball from Ian Ross and darted into the box, only for Haystead to smother the strike at goal.

There was another moment of fortune for United following a game of ping-pong in the Pilgrims’ penalty area.

But when the ball fell at Mark Boyd’s feet, the Workington striker fired weakly, and straight into Haystead’s hands.

There was a touch of comedy about the game when the Boston keeper’s clearance struck his teammate Tom Ward.

But fortunately for United, the ball fell wide of the goal.

After an unimpressive opening first 45, United found themselves ahead less than two minutes into the second half.

Newsham netted from close range, tapping in after Ian Ross’ free kick caused panic in the Reds’ box.

That lead was almost doubled moments later when substitute Mark Jones slipped Spencer Weir-Daley through.

But the striker’s effort was deflected away from danger.

Workington introduced Gareth Arnison in the 68th minute.

And with his first touch he ballooned an 18-yard effort way over United’s crossbar.

Chasing an equaliser, Workington began peppering the Pilgrims’ goal, but failing to see a strike even hit the target, before May’s glancing header seconds before the final whistle.

WORKINGTON: Mitchell, Cowperthwaite, Rowntree, May, Andrews, Hewson, McLuckie (Hooper 70), Vaulks, Wright, Boyd (Arnison 68), Mwasile; Subs (not used): Wordsworth, Wright, Greenhalgh.

UNITED: Haystead, Silk, Jelleyman, Ward, Stainfield, Ross, Marshall (Jones HT), Milnes, Newsham (Reed 71), Weir-Daley, J. Smith; Subs (not used): K. Smith, Stokes, Fairclough.

Att: 390.

Ref: Lee Metcalfe.