Callum Johnson will box for vacant Celtic title

Callum Johnson.
Callum Johnson.

Boston boxer Callum Johnson will fight for the Celtic title on April 14.

It will be the Commonwealth Games gold medallist’s first shot at a belt and his sixth pro fight.

Johnson had originally turned down the chance to fight for the title because he was concentrating on a ring return at Liverpool Olympia on March 8.

But after discovering that card was being postponed, he can now concentrate on his attempts to win the accolade.

“I was looking forward to fighting in Liverpool, but at least I’ve got a title fight now,” said the 27-year-old, who last fought 10 months ago.

Johnson qulaifies for the Celtic title as he boxed for Scotland an an amateur.

The Celtic title is open to fighters with roots in Gaelic countries and areas, such as Ireland, Wales, the Isle of Man and Brittany.

Johnson is predicting victory, but he says he doesn’t mind how it comes.

“Of course, you get that buzz when you stop someone,” he told The Standard.

“You feel good because you’ve done your job early.

“But the main thing is always getting the result, no matter how you get it.”

Johnson hopes that victory will open they way for him to get a shot at Orville McKenzie’s Commonwealth title, a fight that had been mooted at the end of last year before the Boston fighter picked up an injury.

The Celtic title is currently vacant, and the bout - with an opponent yet to be named - will again be held at Liverpool Olympia.