Fighting talk! Callum Johnson lays down the law ahead of March bout

Callum Jones v Jody Meikle.  Braehead Glasgow.     Picture  Robert Perry  The Scotsman 12th March 2011
Callum Jones v Jody Meikle. Braehead Glasgow. Picture Robert Perry The Scotsman 12th March 2011

THE trash talking has begun.

THE trash talking has begun. Callum Johnson may not even know the identity of his next opponent yet – but the Boston boxer has vowed to ‘take his head off’.

The 26-year-old will return to the ring for his fourth professional fight on March 10.

And despite the name of the man he’ll be facing remaining a complete mystery, confidence is high in Johnson’s camp. So high, he made the tongue-in-cheek swipe.

“I’ve been waiting for this fight a long time, and I’m sparring a lot to make sure I’m as sharp as I can be,” he told The Standard.

“I can’t wait to get in the ring again.

“I feel I’m the best I’ve ever been and if I went in right now I think I’d rip someone’s head off.

“I can’t wait to get in there.”

After having two fights against Dubliner Ciaran Healy postponed towards the end of last year, the light heavyweight is itching to return to action.

Another payday would, of course, be welcomed.

But for Johnson, his desire to return to action is more about ambition.

He wants to build upon that Commonwealth Games gold he won in Delhi, climb the British rankings and position himself to be in line for a shot at a Lonsdale belt.

Johnson’s last fight was a July points victory over Sheffield’s Lee Duncan. He has also ticked the wins column at the expense of Philip Townley and Jody Meikle.

After spending the past six months working hard in training – including three days a week at Manchester’s famous Gallagher’s Gym – the Bostonian believes he is in the best fighting shape of his life.

And this should be an advantage as he bids to put on a show to make the rest of his division take notice.

He added: “It’s all going good. I’m very happy with the training.

“There’s no opponent named yet. But I don’t mind who it is. “Like I said, he’s getting his head taken off.

“That’s because I know that I’m getting better and stronger all the time. Now it’s my turn to prove it.

“I’ve come a long way since the Commonwealths. I’m a way better fighter than I was then.”

Johnson will fight at Glasgow’s Braehead Arena, on the undercard of Ricky Burns’ interim WBO lightweight defence against Paulus Moses.