Johnson makes a ‘very tough and emotional’ return to the ring with first round win

Callum Johnson.
Callum Johnson.

Boston boxer Callum Johnson took less than two minutes to beat his opponent in his return to the ring last night (Saturday).

Johnson – fighting on the undercard of Anthony Crolla’s WBA World lightweight title defence against Ismael Barroso at the Manchester Arena – faced up against Richard Horton.

The night was an emotional one for the 30-year-old, who lost his mentor and dad Paul earlier this year.

However, he secured a first round stoppage against Horton, with a 14-0 technical knockout.

Johnson’s fans and supporters took to social media to support the boxer and offer their congratulations last night.

James Rivett (‏@goldenrivett76) tweeted: “Well done @CallumTheOne proud of you tonight mate! Let’s get a belt #Theone #BestinBritain #Machine”

Whitty‏(@lswhitty_lee) said: “@CallumTheOne go do it bro for you you’re dad and lincolnshire ❤️#feelingproud”

Paul Anderson ‏(@P18NDO) said: “@CallumTheOne mate massive congratulations tonight well done. Your old man will have been watching and I’m sure he’s so proud of you.”

Shane Wilcock ‏(@Dagenham5) tweeted: “@EddieHearn Time to get @CallumTheOne on the main card 14-0.. Proud to say I’m from the same small town as this guy.. #futurechamp

Callum himself tweeted: “Massive thanks to every1 for all the messages they all mean the world to me and I read them all very tough and emotional for me 2night.”

He then went on to thank his team mates and manager at Gallagher’s Gym, who had a ‘clean sweep’ of five out of five wins at the event.

The win means the light heavyweight has now won all 14 of his pro bouts.