Regular fights suit Johnson

Callum Johnson. ENGEMN00120130522152255
Callum Johnson. ENGEMN00120130522152255

Callum Johnson believes he is finally being allowed to reach his potential.

The Boston light heavyweight took his professional record to 12 consecutive victories on Saturday night, stopping Jose Manuel Iglesias in just 77 seconds at Leeds’ First Direct Arena.

It was the first time that the 6’5” Iglesias had been stopped in 12 bouts, and the former Commonwealth Games gold medallist sent him to the canvas twice in that time.

Johnson - who has now won his last four bouts within the opening two rounds - believes regular bouts are helping him evolve into the fighter he always believed he would become.

“I’ve had six fights in the last 11 months and five have finished early,” the 29-year-old told The Standard.

“I always said that if I was given the chance to fight regularly my form would improve and I could show what I’m capable of doing.

“It sounds all the more brutal and horrible, but it feels more satisfying knocking someone out early on.

“There’s no point hanging about waiting to be hit.”

Johnson (pictured) told The Standard he has had discussions to work with Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn again in the near future, but his main ambition remains to earn a British title shot.