Boston Christmas market event carries on without BID

News from the Boston Standard, Lincolnshire: bostonstandard.co.uk, on Twitter @standardboston
News from the Boston Standard, Lincolnshire: bostonstandard.co.uk, on Twitter @standardboston

A group has formed to ensure Boston’s Christmas market will still go ahead – despite the fact BID’s £4,000 support has been lost.

Boston BID will be officially wound down after losing a ballot on its future – ending its financial support for the Christmas event, which runs from November 29.

The Boston Town Christmas Group has been formed to take the event on and is looking for help to raise the £5,000 it needs to plug the funding gap. Attempts to raise the money – BID’s contribution and insurance – have already raised £500 apiece from Pescod Square, O2 and Assembly Rooms owner Matt Clark, leaving £3,500 to find.

A statement from the group said: “Everything is ready to go ahead and we now need your support. Local families and visitors alike had a great time last year and the event was safe and well attended. The event also benefitted local businesses and communities.”

The management of the Christmas festivities, previously handled by BID, is being taken on by account and event organiser Julie Collishaw.

The new group will also look into running the Christmas event in the future.

A statement from the BID directors said: “Following the failed re-ballot, the businesses of Boston have spoken and it is with regret that Boston BID Limited is to wind down and cease its activities.

“As a result of the winding down process, the BID is unfortunately unable to continue to deliver any further services and this will include the cessation of any financial support to the Boston Christmas Market and its committee.

“The BID board would like to thank the businesses of Boston for their support over the last five years.”

To help out email info@christmasinboston.co.uk and for more information visit www.christmasinboston.co.uk or follow 
@bostonchristmas on Twitter.