Flames may hold little fear for this team of Boston firefighters, but show them a dirty kitchen and they will be quaking in their boots.
Or at least they will give it a rub down with an anti-bacterial wipe – after they learned a few lessons in cleanliness following their appearance on BBC 1 programme The Food Inspector.
Members of the green watch, which featured on the show on Wednesday, were shocked to discover that the seemingly-clean kitchen in the mess at Robin Hood’s Walk was not as pristine as thought.
Crew manager Matt King said: “The Food Inspector swabbed the kitchen and, although it looked quite clean and tidy on the surface, it turned out to be quite a different story under the microscope, which was an eye-opener for all of us.”
Despite being shamed into learning some better cleaning habits, the crew said they did not mind the wake up call, as it gave them a chance to promote fire safety messages to the nation.
Matt said: “We tied some fire safety messages into their messages about hygiene – for example by emphasising that keeping your kitchen clean not only reduces bacteria, but reduces fat and food build-up around the grill which may lead to a fire.”