If you spend half your days stuck in commuter traffic on the motorway it might be hard to believe but Britain has some of the most spectacular roads in Europe and a new list has picked out 50 of the best.
Stretching from the far north of Scotland to the sun-kissed Cornwall coast the list identifies some of the most scenic and most thrilling routes around the country.
Topping the list is the simply stunning stretch of the A82, pictured above, running from Crianlarich to Glencoe in the Scottish Highlands, cutting across the otherwordly Rannoch Moor.
Following it is the mountainous route from Llanberis to Capel Curig in Wales which passes through the awe-insipiring Snowdonia national park, while in third place is the route between Thwaite and Ingleton which takes in the famous Buttertubs Pass in Englandâ€™s North West.
The Causeway Coastal Road is among a number of Northern Irish routes chosen by a panel of experts and the Isle of Manâ€™s famous TT route comes in at number 19 on the list.
Itâ€™s not just twisting countryside routes through stunning scenery, however, famous urban routes such as the run to the Ace CafÃ© in south-east London and the path across the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol make the list. For the truly brave, thereâ€™s even a circuit of central London.
The list was compiled by a panel of experts and voted on by driving club members for Boundless, the events and experiences club for public sector workers.
Its motoring editor, Dan Read, said: â€œSometimes a great drive isnâ€™t about a great car, itâ€™s about the right road in the right place at the right time and there are plenty to choose from on this list.
â€œFrom the tip of Scotland to the Cornish coast, from Northern Ireland to the Isle of Man, it showcases the best of Britainâ€™s highways, byways and beautiful scenery. As well as some classic road trips, the list also features a few surprises â€“ the sort of hidden gems you only find with a little local knowledge.â€
Among other highlights on the list are the nerve-wracking but exhilarating coastal route between Lynmouth and Minehead in the South West, which includes possibly Englandâ€™s steepest A-road, and the legendary Snake Pass in the West Midlands.
For those who prefer a longer route thereâ€™s the 100-mile loop of the North York Moors or the epic North Coast 500 around the far reaches of Scotland.
The UK’s 50 best driving roads
- Crianlarich to Glencoe Scotland
- Llanberis to Capel Curig Wales
- Thwaite to Ingleton North West
- North York Moors Lap North East
- North Coast 500 Scotland
- Lynmouth to Minehead South West
- Glossop to Sheffield West Midlands
- Trotternish Circuit Scotland
- Rhayader to Aberystwyth Wales
- Exford to Lynmouth South West
- Alnmouth to Holy Island North East
- Llangollen to Llandegla Wales
- Tornapress to Applecross Scotland
- Cirencester to Moreton-in-Marsh Midlands
- Boscastle to Bude South West
- Weymouth to West Bay South West
- Cromer to Hunstanton East of England
- The Black Mountain Road Wales
- TT Motorcycle Course Isle of Man
- Glasgow to Inverness Scotland
- Clifton Suspension Bridge South West
- Haydon Bridge to Penrith North of England
- Warminster to Poole South West
- Edinburgh to Darlington Scotland and North East
- Larne to Cushendall Northern Ireland
- Abergavenny to Aberystwyth Wales
- Sevenoaks to Folkestone South East
- South Harting to Lordington South East
- Chepstow to Usk Wales
- A30, Wilton to Honiton South West
- Bulford Camp to Everleigh South West
- Causeway Coastal Road Northern Ireland
- Loomies Moto CafÃ© to Winchester South East
- A lap of Central London South East
- Garnlydan to Llangynidr Wales
- Newcastle to Slieve Gullon Northern Ireland
- Sleaford to Cadwell Park East Midlands
- Crawley to Brighton South East
- Reading to Oxford South East
- A4, Chippenham to Newbury South West
- Brands Hatch South East
- A483, Newton to Crossgates Wales
- Colsterworth to Bourne East Midlands
- Romford to Great Yarmouth East of England
- Bregagh Road Northern Ireland
- Kimbolton to Ramsey St Marys East of England
- Maidenhead to London (Jenner’s CafÃ© to Ace CafÃ©) South East
- Stafford to Newport West Midlands
- Litlington to A1 East of England
- Bedford to Kimbolton East of England