Archives: Captain scares off the Nazis and man escapes death in car crush drama

A snapshot from the 1930s showing town Mayor Reuben Salter and his twin daughters.
A snapshot from the 1930s showing town Mayor Reuben Salter and his twin daughters.

This rare snapshot of Boston May Fair in the 1930s shows Mayor Reuben Salter with his twin daughters.

It was shared on Facebook by his great-granddaughter Claire Litster who said the photo was taken around the year 1930. Mr Reuben started R & A Salters newsagents in 1880. Claire wrote: “My parents John and Margaret Tryner recently gave me some photos, including this. Maud Salter, one of the twins, is my dad’s mother.” Salters newsagents were on West Street, Skirbeck Road and Pump Square.

1940: A Navy captain from Boston was described as a ‘hero’ after a stirring sea battle in which he dodged aerial torpedoes dropped by attacking enemy planes and ‘scared off the Nazis’.

During the battle, Capt H. Dawson, of York Street, orderd his crew to bring their Lewis gun into action. Bullets riddled the fuselage of the nearest plane – and the enemy turned and fled.

His ship, David M, was one of the first to be attacked by aerial torpedoes and surprised the crew when they kept travelling towards them after landing in the water.

A Boston soldier had a terrible shock when he returned home from leave to discover his young bride of just a few months had been killed.

The 25-year-old woman was cycling near the junction of Pen Street and Main Ridge, Boston, when she was involved in a collision with a van.

1990: A man had a lucky escape from death after his car was crushed when strong winds toppled a cargo container onto it at Boston Dock.

Alan Walden, senior partner in A and P Crane Hire, was just walking away from his car when the accident happened.

“I was shaken at the time - if it had happened a second earlier I would have been crushed too,” said Mr Walden.

“After landing on the car, the container fell against one of our cranes and I reckon that saved another man’s life. He was biking by and the container would almost certainly have hit him if the crane hadn’t stopped it. We both had a lucky escape.”

Boston-area teachers were reeling from a bolt out of the blue after hearing Kitwood Girls’ School could close in September 1991, with the merger of the two Kitwood schools at the Mill Road site.

It was reported that if the merger went ahead, the teachers would have to re-apply for their jobs.

A bomb disposal team was called out to a house in Winston Gardens, Boston, one Saturday morning after the postman delivered what looked to be a suspicious package with a wire sticking out of it.

But the packet, from a children’s charity, turned out to be totally innocent, police said afterwards.