From our archives: Fog causes chaos

10-year-old Mark James and seven-year-old brother Damian, snowballs in hand, on their way to the town's Conway School.
10-year-old Mark James and seven-year-old brother Damian, snowballs in hand, on their way to the town's Conway School.

This week in 1984, Boston found itself under a blanket of snow.

The Standard’s photographer captured this image of 10-year-old Mark James and seven-year-old brother Damian, snowballs in hand, on their way to the town’s Conway School.

Fosdyke Bridge swung open for the first time since 1945.

In a four-hour operation involving the Boston harbour master and his team, the region’s water authority, the county’s highways authority, the Boston and Spalding area’s pilotage authority and the police, John Parsons Shipping Ltd had its 869-ton ship Dellstedt brought up to Fosdyke from the Wash.

Commercial trade returned to Fosdyke Port in 1979 when John Parsons Management Ltd, the parent company, rented the site of a wharf and warehouse on the seaward side of Fosdyke bridge.

The 57-metre long, 10-metre wide vessel was deemed too large to lie at the wharf while it underwent repairs.

The swing bridge was open for 20 minutes during the operation.


A shortage of certain items of food and household goods had forced some Boston grocers to introduce rationing.

This came as a result of the ‘three-day week’, which was introduced at the start of the year to conserve electricity amid industrial action by coal miners.

It saw commercial use of electricity limited to three consecutive days each week, though some services, such as hospitals and supermarkets, were deemed as essential and made exempt.

In Boston, toilet rolls were high on the list of scarcities, with customers being rationed on one or two packs.

A Food Ministry spokesman appealed for housewives to ‘shop normally’.

He said: “Three-day working has cut production of many items but if housewives keep calm and shop normally there should be no serious problems.”


A Royal Air Force cadet from Boston was offering insight into life in Rhodesia.

Cadet R. G. “Dick” Clark was undergoing training in the region today known as Zimbabwe.

In a letter back to the UK, he wrote: “It is strange, though nice, to have no blackout and to feed on bananas, oranges, chocolates, sweets and steaks and all such things.

“The female population is few and far between and the girls go to dances under the escort of their mothers. This arrangements does not suit the RAF lads!”

A former Boston schoolboy was supervising the production of Gp Capt Frank Whittles’ new jet propelled aeroplane at a factory in the Midlands.

Daniel Walker had been appointed chief engineer of development and experiment on the project.

Mr Walker and his two brothers went to Tower Road School between 1912 and 1916 after his family moved to Boston from Scotland.

Mr G. R. Comer, headmaster, said: “Although they left so many years ago, I recall them well because all three usually wore kilts.

“Daniel certainly impressed me as a bright, intelligent boy although he was a month short of his 10th birthday when he left.”


“Crash-crash-crash during the fog” was the Standard’s front page headline this week in 1964.

Thick fog had led to a number of crashes in and around Boston, none of which involved serious injury.

These included an articulated lorry overturning near the Black Bull corner, in Kirton, which resulted in it shedding its 12-ton load of tic beans over the road.

Bosses at The Regal, in Boston, were expecting a sell out for the forthcoming performance of Johnny Kidd and the Pirates.

The rock and roll group who topped the charts at the start of the 60s with Shakin’ All Over were to play the ‘Top-Pop’ event at the venue, supported by singer Heinz.

Mr Ralph Howden, the Regal’s manager, said there had been a rush for tickets.

He said: “All 8s 6d seats have been sold, but there are still some at 6s 6d.

“The show looks like being a sell out. I’m very pleased with the response.”

The Standard reported that people in Boston had been left puzzled by a “buzzing noise” coming from their telephones.

This, the paper explained, was the new dialling tone which had come into operation at the beginning of that week in the area.