editorial image

Here we take our weekly look into The Standard’s archive.

Our snapshop from the past (pictured above) goes back to 1971.

Members of the Women’s Institute presented a series of one-act plays in October 1971. Pictured are some of the performers talking to members of the audience who enjoyed the show.

100 years ago ... 1916

The Standard carried a poem written by four local soldiers in the First World War, two of whom had since died.

The poem was enclosed in a letter to the paper from Pte W Teft, of the 1st Lincolns, in France.

He said: “Before going over the parapet, we thought we would try to make up a few lines for you to publish in the Standard. If you would publish them, you would be doing us a great favour. Two of the four of us who made them up have been killed, including Lance-Corpl Dan Blyth, of Boston.”

Signed ‘four Bostonians (in the Push)’, it read:

Two years of strife, two laggard years of pain,

The careless laugh but not a pleading cry,

The fairest field a soddened smoking plain,

To which our martyr sons went forth to die.

Two years of labour, long, unyielding, grey,

Have ruled our sorrows with a stern command,

With harsh contempt have cast self-thought away,

And set a common purpose in the land.

Two years of glory, soon the morn shall spring.

Broadcast across the caverns of the night,

Soon shall the years of pain and travail bring,

The birth of peace and death to brutish might.

30 years ago ... 1986

Firefighters tackled two major blazes in and around Boston in as many days.

The first was at Henry Chester and Sons’ farm workshop, in Slippery Gowt Lane, Wyberton.

Five firefighters had to remove seven cylinders of gas from the burning building after being called to the scene at about 3.30am.

The fire, which was believed to have been started by an electrical fault, destroyed a quarter of the concrete shed, all the farm’s repair machinery, and spare parts, and 30 tonnes of potatoes and tick beans.

It was estimated the cost of the damage totalled £30,000.

The following day, at lunchtime, 38 firefighters tackled a fire in the roof of the Trustee Savings Bank, in Boston.

The team, which included two inside the roof wearing breathing apparatus, stopped the blaze from spreading to the whole of the building in Wide Bargate, but the roof was almost completely lost.

The fire service estimated the cost of a replacement at between £25,000 to £60,000.

It was believed the fire had been caused by a camping gas light igniting a wooden beam newly coated with preservative during renovation work to the listed roof.