NOSTALGIA: Bogus vicar ‘collared’ by police

Nostalgia - from The Standard's archives
Nostalgia - from The Standard's archives

1975: A bogus vicar who stayed at a Boston hotel without paying was finally caught by police after a chase through a busy town centre.

The man had escaped from a prison in Derbyshire where he had been serving time for theft. For three months he had allegedly been travelling the country posing as a clergyman. When police finally caught up with him, he was still wearing his dog collar as he ran through the centre of Grantham.

Two seamen who rescued the observer of a naval aircraft which crashed at Freiston Shore received an award from the Royal Humane Society.

Michael Green, 21, and John Holland, 24, were commended for rescuing the observer of the Royal Navy Buccaneer after he and the pilot ejected and landed in the water with open parachutes. The explosion following the crash was seen by the seamen who both headed over to the spot. Mr Holland went overboard and tried to free the observer, who was injured and trapped by his parachute. Mr Green dived in and the two managed to free the injured man and get him onto a life raft. The aircraft pilot was later found, drowned.

1945: Kirton solider Pte S. Bannister wrote to The Standard about his experiences in France during the First World War.

“We are having a glorious day here for first of spring,” he wrote. “The fighting appears to be quiet although there is plenty of rifle fire just after dusk, but that is about all. “The most exciting sport just now is watching the Germans shell our aeroplanes. I saw two being shelled this morning. They let scores of shells at them, but none hit. The airmen appear to be very good at dodging them. One piece of shell came whistling over our billet and dropped in a field behind. Today being Sunday we are not doing a great deal. The churches here are very beautiful, even the smallest villages have a church as beautiful as Boston - and they use them too. One can see plenty of people in them every night praying - a bit different to our churches.”

A Boston couple who lived in the shadow of the Stump received the news of the death of their son who was serving in the First World War.

Mr and Mrs Atterby received the sad news regarding their son Pioneer Arthur Atterby, who at the time of declaration of war, was serving with his regiment in Bermuda in India. A letter from his sargeant said: “His death was instantaneous, he being killed by the explosion of a German shell.

“He died a noble death.”