Archives: Egg allergy family won’t be beaten by poultry farm plans

editorial image

1979: A Boston woman took on feeding an unusual family of 11 - when she befriended a mother duck in Swineshead Road.

Marjorie Faunt, of the Pheonix Poultry Farm, won over the trust of the mallard by feeding her titbits. But Mrs Faunt was delighted when the duck returned for the treats one day followed by 10 tiny ducklings. The birds lived near the poultry farm, at the South Forty Foot Drain.

A Boston family whose dog was badly injured by broken glass littering a children’s play area spoke out about concerns.

Jyp the border collie, belonging to the Mears family, of Freiston Road, suffered a severed artery in his paw while running at Burgess Pit.

It was thought by the vet that the dog may have to have its paw amputated, but after treatment, he was expected to make a full recovery. Owner Liz Mears said she was concerned about kids playing there: “The long grass where Jyp hurt himself was close to the swings and roundabout that children use,” said Mrs Mears. “There are litter bins provided, but no bags inside them, and rubbish has been dropped on the grass. It’s set up as a children’s play area but it could be dangerous.”

Boston weatherman Albert Kirkham was as surprised as everybody else to wake up to a 2ins covering of snow in the area on Friday morning.

He said that Arctic winds brought the wintry weather back and much of the borough had up to two inches.

“We’ve had snow in May before,” he said. “And even had snow in June.

“The last time that happened was in 1975.”

1999: A Langrick couple whose young son suffers with a severe egg allergy were shocked to discover that Padley’s poultry firm had applied to build chicken houses yards from their home.

The news came just a year after the couple had a similar application thrown out.

The couple, of Meer Booth Road, campaigned with other residents against the setting up of a Padley’segg production plant just 400m from their cottage. The couple’’s eight-year-old son had suffered with an egg allergy since he was a baby – but an egg only had to be cracked in the house for him to start an asthma attack and develop blisters on his body.

East Lindsey District Council turned down the plan.

Police smashed a potential drugs deluge when they rumbled a cannibis factory in the Bicker area.

Nearly 1,000 marijuana plants were seized in a raid on a property - which led to several arrests.

About 200 of the plants were 3ft high – but one monster pkant was more than 8ft tall.

1969: An elderly gardener got a shock than brought him to his knees while potterin g about in his strawberry bed in South Parade, Boston.

Charlie Herring, 86, received a bolt from the blue when he was struck by lightning - leaving him reeling against his garden shed, before crumpling to his knees.

Mr Herring added: “The lightning flashed straight past my feet. It was like a great ball of fire. I’ve never known anything like it in all my years.”

“I was quite stunned for a few minutes. And I felt a bit queer for two or three hours after.”

A mysterious object fell out of the sky over Folkingham near Sleaford early on a Sunday morning, landed in the paddock of Mr R. Wadsley and flapped about gently in the breeze. It turned out to be a harmless 6ft-diameter weather balloon attached to a 2lb metal cannister.

Boston firemen battled for hours to rescue an Irishman trapped by tons of earth at the bottom of a 20ft trench - but doctors had to amputate his leg to get him out.

The accident happened when the wall of a trench caved in during work to lay a gas pipeline across the Frithville to Sibsey road.

Tons of clay collapsed on him and a fellow Irish colleague, who was sadly killed.

1979: A warning about the dangers of ‘dabbling in spiritualism’ was made by a reader who claimed her life was almost ruined by evil spirits.

The anonymous woman, said she was a member of a Spiritualist Church and came under attack from ‘some very evil spirits’ who almost ‘destroyed’ her mind.

She said: “Finally, in desperation, my husband took me to the Salvation Army for help, and it was they who managed, through faith and prayer, to rid me of the spirits who were bent on my destruction.”

Modest hero Jon Aaron dived into the River Nene to save a toddler from muddy water, then coolly went back to work as a diver.

Bostonian Jon, 19, said: “It just happened, I’m trained with water so I know what to do and I just did it.” Jon and workmates Paul Taylor and Ron Gregory, spotted the child in the mud at the edge of the water on the opposite side of the river in Spalding.

The three entered the water but Paul and Ron got stuck in the mud so Jon dived into the water and swam to the other side where the toddler was lying face-down.

The boy’s mother was at the top of the bank screaming for help. Jon picked him up and handed him to her.

The boy, who was lucky not have drowned, was unhurt.