BREAKING: Former deputy leader of Boston Borough Council admits landlord charges - and must pay more the £13k

Raymond Singleton-McGuire.
Raymond Singleton-McGuire.

Updated: The former deputy leader of Boston Borough Council must pay more than £13,000 after pleading guilty to 10 charges in relation to his role as a landlord.

Today (Wednesday) Raymond Singleton-McGuire, 56, of Spilsby Road, has been ordered to pay a total of £2,925 in fines, £10,000 in costs and a £90 victim surcharge.

3.30pm: The former deputy leader of Boston Borough Council has pleaded guilty to 10 charges in relation to his role as a landlord.

Raymond Singleton-McGuire, 56, of Spilsby Road, appeared at Lincoln Magistrates’ Court today (Wednesday) over charges which related to a house in multiple occupancy (HMO) at 15 Main Ridge West, in Boston.

After pleading not guilty to a total of 25 offences at a previous hearing at Boston Magistrates’ Court, he was due to face a two-day trial.

However, he admitted 10 of the charges and the others were dismissed.

Of the 10 he admitted, four related to fire risk, including potentially putting tenants at risk of death or serious injury in case of fire.

He admitted two further charges of being the manager of a HMO without a licence.

The final four charges he pleaded guilty to were for failing to comply with regulations in respect to managing a HMO, by failing to protecting his tenants. This includes not having enough fire doors, having dangerously located cookers, having low-silled windows not being guarded, and windows being in a poor state of repair.

His defence said he had taken steps to comply with the regulations once the failings had been pointed out to him.

“He has not put his head in the sand, he is trying to do everything he possibly can,” they said.

The defence also said he was lied to by the tenants over the number of people living there, a point not accepted by the prosecution.

Singleton-McGuire was removed from his post as deputy leader and finance portfolio holder pending this legal action.

The district judge is now considering his verdict.

Earlier this month he resigned as a councillor just three week’s before the elections on May 7.