A Boston bakery owner who kept her premises in poor conditions has been fined a total of £9,000.
Karolina Robak, of ABC Market in James Street, admitted six food safety charges and was fined £1,500 on each by Boston magistrates on Monday.
She was also ordered to pay £1,388 costs and a victim surcharge of £120.
Environmental health officers from Boston Borough Council visited the premises on June 4 and found standards of hygiene so poor that they immediately closed the premises as they posed an imminent risk to health.
Equipment and surfaces were contaminated with food debris and grime. Mould was found in food ingredients and containers. Dirty and damaged equipment including sieves, piping bags, cutters and trays were being used to produce bread and other bakery products.
The level of fines could have been higher but they had taken into account that the defendant had pleaded guilty and agreed to work closely with council officers to maintain satisfactory standards in the future.
Trevor Darnes, Boston Borough Council’s principal environmental health officer, said: “This is the worst premises I have come across in a very long time. I was shocked at the conditions and served an emergency hygiene prohibition notice which closed the bakery immediately.
“I am glad that Boston magistrates have recognised the serious nature of these offences.”
Robak admitted failing to control hazards, failing to properly supervise and instruct and train staff in food hygiene, failing to keep the premises and equipment clean and maintained, failing to ensure ingredients were in appropriate conditions to prevent harmful deterioration and protect from contamination, failing to supply hot water for cleaning and failing to supply hot water at wash hand basins in the bakery, preparation area and staff toilets.
Speaking to The Standard on behalf of Robak after the court hearing, sister Monika Stolarska said new protocols had been put in place including monthly reports to staff both in writing and verbally, and at least two weekly visits from Robak or her sister.
She said: “Right now everything is fantastic, it’s clean.
“I’m sure it’s going to grow, absolutely sure, 100 per cent positive.
“It’s never going to happen again.”