Candle safety call for Halloween

Fire and rescue news.
Fire and rescue news.

Members of the public are being urged not to give themselves an unnecessary fright this Halloween and to take extra care when using candles.

The appeal comes from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Steve Screaton, deputy community safety manager, said: “We know that they help create a spooky atmosphere, but people should always be careful when using them and never leave them unattended. It is safest to use a torch or battery-operated candle in your pumpkin, but if you do decide to use a real candle please use it sensibly. Make sure a responsible person lights the candle by using a long fireplace-style matches or a utility lighter, and make sure they are placed well out of the way of trick-or-treaters.”

The service has released these fire safety tips:

n Always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candleholder

n Always put the candleholder on a heat resistant surface like a ceramic place

n Keep candles/tea lights away from clothing, including fancy dress, furniture and anything else that can catch fire

n Keep candles out of reach of children and pets

n Make sure a responsible adult is present when candles are lit and ensure candles are fully extinguished when going out or to bed.