Cats poisoned by anti-freeze

Shannon Chandley with cat Billy
Shannon Chandley with cat Billy
Share this article

A cat-owner is urging people to be more aware of the dangers of anti-freeze after her cat was poisoned and died from the chemicals.

Shannon Chandley, 20, of Minnows Close, Boston, became worried about her cat Billy, who was about five or six years old, after he disappeared for a few days last month.

She began phoning round the vets and Marshlands Veterinary Practice confirmed Billy had been brought in to them and had sadly passed away after ingesting ethylene glycol in anti-freeze.

She said: “I had to go in an ID the body and they said it could have been done deliberately, or it could have been people putting anti-freeze in their water fountains. I don’t know who brought him in but I think the vet put him down there and then.

“Marshlands were really good with the situation.

“It’s just happening too often, i think a lot of people have said it happened to their cat.”

Shannon had taken care of Billy since adopting her several years ago.

She said since she posted the incident on social media she had been contacted by others whose cats had been poisoned by the chemicals.

She said she couldn’t blame anyone because it was not certain whether anyone had acted maliciously.

She wants people to be aware of the results so they can be more careful.

Michael Kettle, of Marshlands Veterinary Practice, confirmed they were seeing such incidents ‘quite a lot’, treating about a dozen cases in three to four months.

He said the majority of cases had come from the Woad Farm area, close to where Shannon lives, and added it was very difficult to treat – with a window of 24-48 hours for a chance of survival.

He said: “It’s difficult to point blame and say their doing it maliciously, it could be people using it to defrost fountains or being careless with their anti-freeze, even accidentally spilling it on the floor.”

He asked people to be careful when using it, and advised on the warning signs if they see a cat who might be affected - to prevent what is a painful death.

He said the effects will start with wobbliness, fitting and vomiting, before moving on to heart failure, breathing problems, acute renal failure .

He added that anyone who sees a cat in distress should take it to the nearest vets as soon as possible.