Boston man and woman spared immediate prison term over Christmas Day violence

Lincoln Crown Court. Library image.
Lincoln Crown Court. Library image.

A Boston man and woman involved in street violence on Christmas Day have both escaped immediate custodial sentences at Lincoln Crown Court.

The victim, a Latvian national, was initially involved in a fight with an unidentified man in Red Lion Street, Boston, during the early hours of Christmas Day.

Jonathon Dee, prosecuting, said that Nathan Cammack, who lived near by, then joined in.

The incident developed further when Cammack’s then partner Dionne Rhodes became involved.

The victim was knocked to the ground and Rhodes held him while Cammack and the unidentified man delivered a number of kicks and punches.

Mr Dee said the victim ran off but was followed and further violence occurred before police arrived at the scene and broke up the incident. The victim suffered bruising and grazing to his face, head and back.

Mr Dee added: “This was a drunken town centre fight after everyone had been drinking heavily on Christmas Eve.”

Cammack, 25, of Red Lion Street, Boston, and Rhodes, 18, of South Terrace, Boston, each admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm as a result of the incident on December 25.

Cammack was given a 16-month jail sentence suspended for two years with 240 hours of unpaid work and a 25-day rehabilitation activity requirement.

Rhodes was given eight months custody suspended for two years with 150 hours of unpaid work, a community order for 18 months and a 30-day rehabilitation activity requirement.

Neil Sands, for Cammack, said his client heard the noise of the original fight and went to investigate.

Karen Walton, for Rhodes, said she was remorseful. At the time of the incident she was in a relationship with Cammack but that has ended.

Judge Simon Hirst, passing sentence yesterday (Wednesday, February 24), said the victim had initially appeared to be quite happy to become involved in a fight but the incident then developed into an assault.

The judges said he was able to avoid passing sentences of immediate custody but told the defendants: “You will not get a second chance. You have only got this chance because of the actions of the complainant.”