Drunken knife-wielding man had four-hour rooftop standoff with police

Court news.
Court news.

A drunken man armed with a knife was involved in a four hour stand-off with police after attempting to flee from officers, Lincoln Crown Court was told.

Officers called at Mariusz Zablocki’s home in a bid to speak to him about an earlier domestic incident but he climbed out of the window of his upstairs flat and onto the roof.

Mark Knowles, prosecuting, said: “He attempted to make his way across the roof tops armed with a knife.

“He was shouting obscenities at the police and then started to throw roof tiles aiming at the police. One of the roof tiles hit a police vehicle.

“He continued to make stabbing gestures to the police. Officers from Spalding, Boston, and Skegness together with negotiators and dog handlers were called in.

“It was developing into quite an incident. At one point the defendant fell through a fibre glass roof. There was concern for his safety and an ambulance and the fire service were called to the scene.

“Some moments later he emerged back onto the roof still armed with the knife. The negotiations to get him down from the roof took four hours. It caused the public great expense. Eventually he did come down and was arrested.

“He was taken into custody and later taken to hospital. He had a broken ankle, a cut to his wrist and bruises.”

Zablocki, 35, of Red Lion Street, Boston, admitted charges of affray and damaging property arising out of the incident on 20 April. He was given an 18 month prison sentence on Friday suspended for two years and 240 hours of unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay £300 compensation for the damage to the police car.

The court heard that Zablocki has been remanded in custody since his arrest.

Judge John Pini QC, passing sentence, told him: “The fire service, countless police officers and dog handlers were involved in this incident at enormous public expense. It is only the fact that you have already done the equivalent of a seven month sentence that enables me to take this course.”

Liz Harte, defending, said Zablocki had been in a long standing relationship but at the time the couple were living apart and the incident occurred when he attempted a reconciliation.

“He went about this in a very ill-advised way. He started by having too much to drink. This then developed into an argument but at the end of it he was left on his own.

“He stormed out back to his solitary address where he continued to drink. This was the situation when the police banged on his door. He then made a series of appalling decisions no doubt befuddled by drink which led him to take refuge on the roof of the building.

“He is at a complete loss now to account for what was happening. He accepts he threw roof tiles. He is mortified about that.

“It appears that self-harm rather than harm to others was at the forefront of his mind.”

Miss Harte said that Zablocki is now reconciled with his partner who visited him while he was on remand in prison, and they plan to resume their relationship.