Giant prisoner refuses to board van to court

editorial image

A NEAR 7ft prisoner forced the postponement of his case after refusing to get on the van which was taking him to court.

Six ft 10ins Ivo Liparts was due to be sentenced last month for breaching a restraining order - but a judge was forced to adjourn the hearing after the former Latvian bodyguard declined to get onboard the G4S truck that was taking him to Lincoln Crown Court.

Liparts finally appeared in the dock on Thursday after Judge Michael Heath agreed to a request from G4S to list him on a day when the court cells in Lincoln’s historic 11th Century castle were quiet.

Liparts, 37, dwarfed a 5ft 6ins female security officer as he was escorted into the court after being transported in a van from Lincoln Prison.

But Judge Heath was forced to postpone the case a second time after recieving intelligence that Liparts was sentenced to seven years custody in his native Latvia in 2005 - despite a criminal record check showing no previous convictions in his home country.

The court heard information that Liparts has convictions for armed robbery, illegal possession of a firearm and misconduct in public office was only disclosed in an email made by a Lincolnshire Police officer after inquiries were made with the Serious Organised Crime Agency.

Mark Achurch, prosecuting, outlined the breach of the restraining order which prevents him from contacting a former housemate and his family.

The court was told Liparts had moved into the the victim’s home in Boston, shortly after his arrival in the UK in February last year - but he was soon asked to leave after punching his hand through one of the family’s televisions.

Mr Achurch said Liparts also threw stones at the property, causing damage to the house and two car windows, and returned to the property again in July when he signed his name in Latvian on the front door.

The restraining order was made after Liparts approached the victim’s step-daughter at work - but CCTV footage again showed Liparts near the property on 30 September.

A district judge who heard the breach was so concerned by Liparts behaviour during his trial that he wrote a letter to the Home Office alerting them of his presence in the UK.

In a victim impact statement which was read to the court the victim said he now kept his doors and windows locked at all times and no longer let his son play outside on the streets for fear of running into Liparts.

Liparts, formerly of High Street, Boston, will have to re-appear at Lincoln Crown Court again next Friday after Judge Michael Heath described the information about his previous convictions as “very troubling” and ordered further investigations.