Man found guilty of sexual assault after three-day trial

A Boston man was convicted of sexually assaulting a woman following a three-day trial – after which it emerged he had made two violent threats to women while on bail for the offence.

Jason Hallam, 27, of Mill Road, admitted putting the woman in a headlock and snatching her phone but denied deliberately groping her near a railway underpass in Grantham in a hearing at Lincoln Crown Court.

He was found guilty of sexual assault on Thursday and will be sentenced on July 27 after being remanded in to custody.

Police had been called to the woman’s home after she reported being sexually assaulted by a stranger with discoloured teeth and cheap glasses who had followed her on foot from a petrol station in Harlaxton Road, Grantham

In her 999 call made after the attack she told the operator: “He grabbed me in between my legs, he tried to drag me to the tunnel.”

Giving evidence, Trevor Vine, landlord of the Huntingtower Arms pub, described how he went to the scene of the assault after he heard a girl screaming “leave me alone.”

“As soon as she saw me, she ran to me,” Mr Vine said. “She was just a mess, frightened to death.”

The woman’s injuries which included an inch long scratch on the left side of her breasts and a red mark near her right breast were photographed by police.

After the jury returned their guilty verdict it was revealed that Hallam had made violent threats to two other lone women in Windsor Bank, Boston after being released on bail for the Grantham attack.

He later admitted two charges of affray.

During the first incident in December last year Hallam approached a woman on her way home, armed with a knife, and warned her: “Come with me or I’ll stab you.”

Four days later Hallam raised his fist to a woman and threatened to kill her after she noticed him following her.

Judge Michael Heath adjourned sentence for the preparation of psychiatric and probation reports after admitting he was “very worried” by Hallam.