Man jailed for 13 years for Boston gunpoint raid

Court news.
Court news.

A man who carried out a terrifying gunpoint raid on the home of a Boston couple was today jailed for a total of 13 years at Lincoln Crown Court.

Jamie Holland was one of two armed, masked men who burst into the victims’ home in Pilley’s Lane in the town.

Jonathan Straw, prosecuting, said the couple had been out for the day and when they returned the man took their pet dog for a walk.

His 62-year-old wife collected in the washing but as she returned to the house two men suddenly appeared and ran at her.

She was pushed through the door and fell.

The woman was ordered to sit on a chair and look down as the men pointed guns at her.

Mr Straw said the woman pleaded with the intruders not to tie her up.

He told the court: “They were clearly going to terrorise her.”

But moments later the raiders spotted her husband returning with the dog. He was talking to a friend on his mobile phone but the raiders thought he was speaking to police and fled empty-handed.

The man gave chase over the back fence but lost them as they headed towards Tattershall Road.

Holland was arrested two weeks later after police on patrol in the centre of Boston spotted him loitering in an alleyway off Wide Bargate.

His bag was searched and the officers recovered an imitation pistol. At the time he was preparing to rob a nearby amusement arcade.

Holland was linked to the earlier raid by items he had discarded as he fled.

Holland, 26, of White House Lane, Boston, admitted attempt robbery and possession of an imitation firearm at Pilley’s Lane on 5 September. He also admitted possession of an imitation firearm with intent to rob on 19 September.

The second man in the Pilley’s Lane raid has not been identified.

Judge Michael Heath, passing sentence, said it was clear that the Pilley’s Lane hold-up had a devastating effect on the victim and her husband and their lives had been turned upside down by what happened.

Iain Suggett, defending, said Holland has since shown remorse and urged he be given credit for early pleas of guilty.

He said Holland was desperate after running up big gambling debts.

“He owed £50,000. He decided this was the only course he could take.”