MURDER TRIAL: Killer given 20-year jail sentence

Court news.
Court news.

A man found guilty of the murder of a migrant worker has been handed a minimum 20-year jail sentence.

Slawomir Dziob, who was convicted yesterday of the murder of Jan Pawel Stochnialek, whose body was found floating in the South Forty Foot Drain on January 25, after a two-week trial.

He appeared at Lincoln Crown Court today where he was given a lfe sentence and told he must serve a minimum of 20 years.

He was given a further six years for conspiracy to pervert the course of justice for trying to cover up the killing. This will run concurrently.

Judge Michael Heath told Dziob: “The evidence against you was overwhelming. You beat him to death in a vicious, brutal and sustained attack. I am satisfied you intended to kill. You said you would and that is what you did.

“Having killed him you orchestrated a concerted effort to cover up the killing.”

The judge commended the work of the police team that brought Dziob to justice saying: “It appears to me that the case was superbly conducted by the police team. It was a good job well done.”

During the trial the jury heard that the victim Jan Pawel Stochnialek ,28, was last seen alive at a Christmas Eve party held at Dziob’s then home in Fieldfare Croft, Boston.

During the party the two men were heard to have a heated argument over a suggestion that Mr Stochnialek had paid money to have Dziob beaten up.

Stochnialek denied the allegation but Dziob warned that either the source of the information or Stochnialek was lying and said he would kill the person who lied to him.

William Harbage QC, prosecuting, said that Stochnialek’s partner and his two friends were asked to leave the party and then Dziob carried out the killing.

Afterwards attempts were made to remove the blood stains and Dziob also disposed of the dead man’s clothes before dumping the body in the South Forty Foot Drain.

Dziob and his housemates then left town travelling first to King’s Lynn and then to Manchester. He sold his BMW car for scrap and then settled in Salford where he found work and a new home.

But he was arrested after Mr Stochnialek’s body was found floating in the drain on 25 January 2012.

He had over 30 separate injuries and medical evidence showed he was dead before entering the water.

Forensic tests carried out at Dziob’s former home led to the discovery of blood stains from Stochnialek on the carpets, walls and ceiling of the main room

Dziob , of Hadley Street, Salford, denied the murder of 28 year old Jan Pawel Stochnialek, between 23 December 2011 and 25 January 2012. He also denied perverting the course of justice.

He told the jury he was a friend of the dead man and they had plans to set up a gangmaster agency together. He denied carrying out any violence against Stochnialek and said he last saw him leaving the party with a ‘very muscular’ man he only knew by the name ‘The Fascist’.

Three other men were cleared of murder on the directions of the judge following an earlier trial held at Leicester Crown Court in March.

Piotr Szymon Firlit, 24, and Bartlomiej Marszalkiewicz, 26, both of Fieldfare Croft, Boston, and Oktawiusz Siemieniuk, 32, of The Featherworks, Boston, all denied murder.

They all admitted conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and were jailed for 26 months each.