Policeman punched partygoer three times and sprayed him to ‘calm him down’

Police news.
Police news.

A man was punched three times and sprayed in the face by a police officer when he resisted arrest after his mobile phone went missing at a party, a court was told.

Darren Thomas Taylor, 39, of Franks Close, in Kirton, appeared at Boston Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday pleading guilty to resisting a constable in the execution of his duty, on September 30.

Prosecutor Marie Stace said PC Michael Judge was called to Chapel Street, in Boston, after reports of a drunk man refusing to leave a property, at about 10.30am. She said Taylor was identified to the officer who moved to arrest him.

She said Taylor swore at the officer, and originally gave a ‘flippant’ alias of Brett Tyson, before struggling. At one point the officer believed Taylor moved to bite his hand, she said.

During the struggle the officer was forced to punch Taylor three times in an attempt to calm him down – he then sprayed him in the face with pepper spray at which point Taylor gave up, said Mrs Stace. In interview Taylor said he had been to a party and been involved in several arguments.

Defence solicitor Mike Alexander said Taylor apologised to the officer and accepted what occurred. He denied Taylor tried to bite the officer.

He added: “Throughout the incident Mr Taylor has not admitted to striking the officer. He was struggling and the officer has punched him three times to the face. He has not tried to punch or react to that.

“He accepts the officer had the right to punch him because he was not behaving in the right way. It’s not a criticism at the officer.”

He said Taylor had separated several arguments during the night before discovering a £400 mobile phone, bought for him by a friend, had gone missing. He said Taylor had resisted arrest because he wanted to find the phone first.

He said Taylor was of good character last before the court in 2006.

Taylor was given a £75 fine, and ordered to pay £85 costs and £20 victim surcharge.