Women hurt in head-on crash


A driver overtook a bus when it was unsafe to do so and caused a head-on smash, seriously injuring two women in an oncoming car, a court has been told.

BMW driver Kirsty Deamer suffered a broken leg – with tibia and fibula bones broken – along with cuts and bruising, and passenger Karen Symonds sustained a shattered kneecap and bruising to the stomach and chest.

Vauxhall Astra driver Connor Moore, 20, of Surfleet Road, Surfleet, appeared at Boston Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday for sentence after pleading guilty at a previous hearing to causing serious injury to the two women by driving dangerously on London Road, Boston, on April 3.

He was given a 12-week jail term, suspended for a year, along with 150 hours’ unpaid work.

Moore was banned from driving for two years and will not be able to drive again with a full licence until he passes an extended driving test.

Magistrates also ordered him to pay £85 costs and an £80 victim surcharge.

Presiding magistrate Ann Harrison told Moore: “Because of the injuries we do feel that the custody threshold has been passed.”

Mrs Harrison said the court was prepared to suspend the sentence because of his early guilty plea and ‘the remorse shown’.

The court was told compensation for the injured women would be dealt with by insurance companies.

Prosecutor Nick Todd said the collision happened just before 6pm when Moore overtook a bus ‘when it was clearly unsafe’ to do so and ‘it was a dangerous manoeuvre’ because there was a BMW 118 Series vehicle coming towards him on the other side of the road.

Mr Todd said Moore could not have seen sufficiently far into the distance and described Moore’s action as ‘an instant decision that turned out to be the wrong decision’.

Solicitor Andrew Goldsborough, mitigating, said Moore no longer feels confident in his ability to drive and is having recurring dreams and suicidal thoughts because of the crash.

He said Moore, who injured his knee in the crash, had been given medication for his anxiety by his GP.

Mr Goldsborough said Moore’s passenger at the time, who had ridden with him from Swineshead to Boston, had no concerns about the journey until the point where they reached the ATS roundabout and Moore began the overtake.

He said Moore was ‘extremely remorseful’ and told police he knew he should not have done it and fully accepted his decision to overtake was wrong.