From our archives: Miracle kid walks again

1984: Emily Enderby with the little goat she rescued and nurtured back to health.
1984: Emily Enderby with the little goat she rescued and nurtured back to health.

1984: A three-week-old kid goat who was born unable to walk was on his way to recovery thanks to a diet of herbal medicine.

The goat, named Hayhoe Kaliman, was one of triplets born at Sausthorpe near Spilsby. But Wrangle farmer Emily Enderby took pity and bought him so she could try to make him better. Hayhoe used to roll around on the floor,” said Mrs Enderby. “He couldn’t stand up at all.” But she started giving him Princess Pine herbs which she had read were given to foals to treat rheumatism and arthritis. It worked and the kid was able to run, albiet unsteadily. “We cuddle him and that,” Mrs Enderby said, adding ominously: “When you give them a good life, they make better meat.”

1984: Emily Enderby with the little goat she rescued and nurtured back to health.

1984: Emily Enderby with the little goat she rescued and nurtured back to health.

Boston anti-nuclear power protesters staged a demonstration outside EMEB offices in the town’s Sleaford Road.

The Anti-Nucelar Campaign members leafleted Boston and District Chamber of Commerce members who were on their way to a meeting by the energy company about the world energy crisis and renewable energy sources.

Protesters wore death masks and held placards.

A strict Boston vegetarian was so sickened by the sight of a cow being slaughtered on a BBC programme that he went out to daub a slogan on a slaughterhouse in the town.

The man said: “I just wanted to do something to show my disgust,” said the man, who wound up in the magistrates court for his actions.

The man said: “I’ve never done this sort of thing before, but after seeing a film of innocent animals’ deaths, it just cracked me up.”

1964: There was a warning that some East Coast fishermen in search of cockles were running the risk of being bombed by aircraft in the British and American H-Force.

In spite of repeated warnings, vessels from Boston and King’s Lynn have been making illegal detours on to the RAF bombing range at Holbeach Marsh.

They used the range because they said the choicest cockles lived there – but they were causing headaches to Bomber Command by fishing in the waters when the range was active.

Revealing this at a meeting of the Eastern Sea Fisheries Joint Committee at Boston, clerk Sidney Denithorne declared: “The patience of the RAF is wearing extremely thin.”

He said he was worried the air force would end up closing the waters to fishermen altogether.

1944: Six members of the 2nd Holland Battalion Home Guard were injured at Fosdyke when an explosion occurred during a rifle grenade firing while a Home Guard field demonstration was in progress.

The cause was unexplained.

On the same day, four members of the Horncastle Platoon Home Guard also sustained injuries after the accidental explosion of a grenade.

The injured were taken to hospital suffering from shrapnel wounds.

Sad news was received by Mr and Mrs S. Mason, of Boston West, that their son Pte Fred Mason had died of wounds received in action in Italy after a mortar burst very close to him.

Swineshead couple were happy to receive news their two sons serving in various countries during the war had accidentally met up.

Mr and Mrs Wilkinson, of The Drayton, said that despite their sons Ernest and Walter roaming from place to place in foreign countries, that they had somehow managed to meet up by chance.

A pal of Walter’s told him someone wished to speak to him - and he was amazed to discover it was his own brother.

The pair were said to be both well and looking forward to coming home.

1954: Scenes for the famous Dam Busters film were shot at Gibraltar Point, Skegness, with stars Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave on scene.

A Standard reporter described how ‘an air of urgent expectancy hung over the marshland’ during the filming. Secrecy surrounded the arrival of the crews and stars in Skegness - but despite all the precautionary measures, a large crowd of eager spectators gathered to watch the day’s proceedings.

A 19-year-old RAF Cranwell cadet died after the aircraft he was flying solo crashed into an airfield off Punchbowl Lane, Boston.

The cadet, from London, was piloting a single-engined Chipmunk trainer aircraft when it came down in a pea field and caught fire.

Scenes described as ‘akin to a Spanish bull fight’ were witnessed in a field near white bridges when three men entered a field where a bullock was running free.

The creature had escaped Boston Slaughterhouse the previous afternoon and had bravely dashed across the railway line, scattering people in its wake. It even plunged into deep water to cross the Forty Foot before ending in a cow field. A crowd of spectators had gathered to watch its capture by its would-be slayers – who ended up shooting it.