A new special constable saved a woman’s life when she was choking on a piece of beef, gasping for air and blacking out.
Alex Hackett, 24, front of house supervisor at Boston’s White Hart Hotel, learned first aid only weeks ago on a G4S course with Lincolnshire Police.
It was a life or death drama for a nurse chatting to a companion over a meal in the hotel restaurant on Monday lunchtime.
“I heard sounds like gasping for air and just a bit of panic,” said Alex. “So I ran across the bar, just sort of got a few people out of the way and started to perform first aid on her. It took about five or six ‘back slaps’ and then some food came out of her mouth.”
A piece of beef – around the size of a 10p piece – had been stuck in the customer’s throat.
“It was quite a hefty bit,” said Alex. “She said to me she was blacking out as well. She’s a nurse apparently, so she understood how serious it was. She was just grateful that there was somebody there that knew first aid.”
Around 30 people in the bar burst into applause and cheers once it was clear Alex had saved the diner’s life.
The grateful customer left the hotel but reappeared 30 minutes later with a bottle of champagne for Alex.
He said: “I have only literally just passed out (with the police) so I did my first aid training about six weeks ago. It’s difficult to picture yourself in a situation that requires it – it’s quite handy that I did it.
“I have got my first shift as a special for Remembrance Day.”
Hotel general manager Adam Charity said: “We are extremely proud of him.”