A local church has rounded off a busy year of events to celebrate 900 years since the founding of its priory.
Freiston Church and its supporters held a series of walks, talks and services in 2014 to commemorate the landmark, the latest being a Christmas Tree Festival and Fayre.
Louise Pearson said: “When in 1114, 5000 knights, abbotts, monks and people gathered at Crowland to watch the Norman baron Alan de Croun give an endowment for a great Priory and church at Freiston, the village was a small place in the middle of a swampy marsh.
“Nine hundred years on and you’ll find a wonderful festive atmosphere and a warm welcome awaiting you in the magnificent Norman St James’ church.”
In March, events included a trip to Crowland Abbey and a celebration service with a talk by the Archdeacon of Boston.
In April, organisers had a Pilgrimage from Crowland to Freiston, while another walk took place in the town centre and a service took place at Freiston Shore.
In May, residents got the chance to live like a monk for the day. June included a celebration of marriage at the church including photography displays, bridal wares and stories.
In July, the church held its Freiston St James Festival with a service and a picnic and party on the playing field.
Other events have included history displays and items from church archives on display including church registers and bike rides to Crowland and back.
A brief story of a priory founding
*Although it is believed a building already existed, the Freiston priory was founded following a ceremony in 1114.
*The chronicles report that up to 5000 people attended the event hosted by Abbott Joffrid.
*A range of important people including Norman barons gave bequests to Crowland Abbey in the form of a large symbolic brick laying ceremony.
*Endowments were also placed on the bricks and these were laid into the Abbey walls.
*The Norman Baron Alan de Croun and his family endowed to the funds and lands in order for the abbey.
*He also gave as part of the endowment the patronages to the parishes and the then existing churches of Freiston, Butterwick, Fishtoft and Burton Pedwardine.
*Prior to the dissolution, it is believed to have been one of the fourth richest priories in the country.
*After, large parts of the Priory were removed, including a second tower, the monks choir and transepts.
*The great font cover dates to the late 15th century and is one of only a handful which have survived in the UK. Originally it was almost completely gilded, and legend has it that it was carved by an apprentice who was murdered in a fit of jealousy by his master.
*The church has undergone several works with the tower completed in the 1600s and a Victorian refurbishment in the 1870s.