Mum’s death will remain a mystery

Bicker mum Diane Tytheridge.
Bicker mum Diane Tytheridge.

No one will ever know how a Bicker mum-of-three died after her badly decomposed body was found in sand dunes three months after she went missing.

Pilgrim Hospital nurse Diane Tytheridge (61), of Thorlby Haven, was identified by her lorry driver husband, Gary, solely from her possessions, including a wedding band that had an identical inscription to his “forever 24.10.97”.

She (Diane) didn’t just want to talk to her mum, she wanted to be with her.

Coroner’s officer Andy Wardell

An inquest in Spilsby today (Wednesday) heard a post-mortem examination found the cause of Mrs Tytheridge’s death as “unascertained” – although police were certain there were “no criminal acts that contributed” to her death.

Mrs Tytheridge went missing on June 25 last year and, apart from CCTV pictures of her taken that day at Skegness Bus Station and an unconfirmed sighting at Chapel St Leonards, nothing is known about her movements up to the time her body was found at Anderby Creek on September 15.

Marianne Johnson, assistant coroner for central Lincolnshire, recorded an open conclusion, saying there was insufficient evidence to decide exactly how Mrs Tytheridge died.

The inquest heard Mrs Tytheridge couldn’t come to terms with the death of her mum the previous year.

Coroner’s officer Andy Wardell said she had told colleagues: “She didn’t just want to talk to her mum, she wanted to be with her.”

He said the Tytheridges were in financial difficulties, with debts of £71,000 or more.

Mr Wardell said Mrs Tytheridge was also responsible for her mother-in-law’s finances and he believed a sum of around £25,000 was owed to the care home.

But Mrs Tytheridge’s family have denied she had that responsibility.

Mr Wardell said Mrs Tytheridge’s responsibilities for her mother-in-law Sheila’s finances included payment of fees to her care home.

He told the inquest: “It is in my opinion possible that this added to Diane’s worries as she was aware that the home were chasing outstanding debts.”

But Mr Tytheridge said his wife wasn’t responsible for his mother’s finances – the bank was – and his wife had his mother’s bank card at her request for making small purchases.

Speaking after the inquest, Diane’s daughter, Candy Mercer, said: “She didn’t have responsibility for Sheila’s financial affairs and she should not be held accountable for paying Sheila’s care bills when she wasn’t.”