Pair jailed for ‘terrifying attack’ which saw housemate shot several times

Michal Tkaczyk
Michal Tkaczyk

A man who shot a housemate several times leaving him with potentially fatal injuries during a mock interrogation was today (Monday) jailed at Lincoln Crown Court.

Michal Tkaczyk left his victim “truly terrified” while holding him prisoner at the rented home they shared in Boston.

Adrian Zuchowski

Adrian Zuchowski

The victim Lukas Olesczuk was attacked after refusing to drink with Tkaczyk and a second tenant Adrian Zuchowski at the property in Larkspur Croft, Boston.

Mr Olesczuk had been accused by tenants of stealing their food and angered them after they discovered he had not been asked to pay rent for his room.

During a 24-hour ordeal Mr Olesczuk was held prisoner by Tkaczyk and Zuchowski. He had his hair shaved off with a razor and was then interrogated about drugs before his hands were tied behind his back.

James Bide-Thomas, prosecuting, said “What seems to have happened is that initially there was bullying behaviour and that escalated to a situation where the victim was falsely imprisoned.

“They accused him of being some sort of police informer and staged a mock interrogation of him.”

The prosecutor said the victim was kicked and punched before being told to lie on a bed. Tkaczyk then jumped on his back.

Tkaczyk went on to produce an imitation hand gun. The weapon, which fired blank cartridges, was placed against Mr Olesczuk’s skin and fired a number of times.

The weapon was fired against his leg, hand and forehead before being placed against his neck and fired again. The force of the blast from the weapon left him with deep wounds and he lost consciousness. The injury to the neck was potentially fatal.

When he came round he was given a towel to stem the bleeding and warned they would shoot him again.

Mr Bide-Thomas said: “He thought they were assaulting him to prevent him from going to the police.”

Mr Olesczuk was kicked to the head and the back and the gun was put against his ear.

Tkaczyk went on to smash a glass over the victim’s forehead before ordering Zuchowski to pour cleaning fluid over the open wounds.

Mr Bide-Thomas said “That was painful and caused a burning sensation.”

The victim managed to escape with help from other tenants and was taken to the Pilgrim Hospital, Boston, before being transferred to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham where he was placed in an induced coma. He spent three days in intensive care.

Mr Olesczuk, who has since returned to his native Poland, has been left with permanent scars and his hearing was affected.

Tkaczyk,33, of Larkspur Croft, Boston, admitted charges of unlawful wounding, false imprisonment and possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence as a result of the incident which began on 12 June this year. He was jailed for eight years.

Zuchowski, 31, of the same address, admitted unlawful wounding and false imprisonment. He was jailed for five years and four months.

Judge John Pini QC, passing sentence, told them “This was on any view a truly terrifying incident for the victim. It was a very serious incident. What you did could have been fatal.”

Michael Cranmer-Brown, for Tkaczyk, said: “This was brought about by a combination of having far too much alcohol and the frustration this defendant felt at the way in which the complainant was conducting himself.

“In their vodka befuddled state they didn’t appreciate the serious aspect of what they were doing. What they thought they were doing was teaching him a lesson and perhaps they didn’t appreciate how far over the top they were going.”

John McNally, for Zuchowski, said there was a difference between the actions of the two men as for most of the time Zuckowski was just watching what was going on.

He said that on the victim’s version of events Zuchowski only struck one blow.

“The incident changed from bullying to something truly horrendous which my client neither had the courage or aptitude to escape from.”