UPDATE: Boston MP ‘I’ve apologised to David Cameron for missing Syria vote. I would’ve voted with him’

UPDATE: Boston’s MP has confirmed he missed last night’s crucial House of Commons vote on military action in Syria because the division bell ‘did not ring’.

Mark Simmonds, a junior foreign office minister, said he would have voted in favour of the Government’s position.

Mark Simmonds

Mark Simmonds

Mr Simmonds told The Standard: “I had a ministerial meeting between votes, the division bell did not ring and I therefore missed the vote. But as a member of the Government, I would have voted with the Government. I have apologised to the Prime Minister and he has accepted my apology.”

UPDATE:Prime Minister David Cameron said he has accepted a ‘profound apology’ from Mark Simmonds after the Boston MP missed last night’s crucial Commons vote on military action in Syria.

Mr Simmonds is said to have been in another room while the Government lost by 13 votes.

Mr Cameron told the BBC that the failure of Mr Simmonds and Justine Greening to take part in that vote was a ‘technical issue’ and that the pair had not heard the division bell.

He added: “They have apologised profoundly. I have accepted thier apology.”

See the video above for clips of the debate in the Commons.

Friday, 10am: Boston’s MP missed last night’s crucial vote on Britain’s response to the situation in Syria.

Mark Simmonds, a junior minister in the foreign office, was one of three Tory MPs who failed to take part in the second vote in the House of Commons late last night.

The Government lost the ballot by 13 votes – putting an end to the suggestion of military intervention from our armed forces.

Mr Simmonds was in Parliament and had already voted against a Labour amendment calling for ‘compelling evidence’ that the Assad regime was behind a chemical weapons attack.

National media reports suggest that Mr Simmonds and Justine Greening were in a room near the Commons chamber discussing a different foreign policy matter.

Once there they apparently did not hear the divisional bell calling for the second vote.

Kenneth Clarke was also missing from the vote due to family reasons.