The RSPCA has issued an appeal to pet owners in the Boston area following a nunber of incidents of cats falling ill with suspected antifreeze poisoning.
One incident, reported on Saturday, involved a pet owner in Boston’s Windsor Bank having to put three of her cats down, with a further two taken ill.
Blood samples taken by the vet confirmed it to be poisoning.
A few weeks ago, similar cases of poisoning were reported with cats in the Kirton area.
A Lincolnshire Police spokesman said: “The blood samples the vet took have apparently shown the cats consumed a contaminant that is normally found in anti-freeze but, from a police perspective, this doesn’t amount to evidence of poisoning as cats wander freely and could consume any number of things from a rubbish bin.”
The RSPCA has told The Standard: “Every year the RSPCA is made aware of tragic incidences where cats are believed to have died from ingesting poisons such as antifreeze and we are deeply concerned and saddened by this.
“Many of us are not aware of just how toxic antifreeze is so it’s really important that we all take care when using, storing and disposing of it. It could save an animal from an incredibly painful death.
“However, there are also concerns that some cases of antifreeze poisoning could be deliberate.
Under the Animal Welfare Act, those found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering face a £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison.”
After ingesting antifreeze and other poisons, cats can suffer symptoms including vomiting, seizures, appearing drunk and sleepy and an increased breathing rate. They will also often try to drink more fluids.
Owners should contact a vet immediately if they suspect that their pet may have been in contact with the chemical or if they see any warning signs or symptoms. The sooner the catis treated, the better their chances of surviving.
For information on how to detect antifreeze poisoning log onto www.rspca.org.uk/poisoning
If you have any information about cat poisonings in the Boston area, call the RSPCA in confidence on 0300 123 4999.