Take a step down Boston’s memory lane with our weekly nostalgia column

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

15 years ago...1997

POLICE were warning Boston taxi operators there would be more spot checks on cabs after they found a 78 per cent defect rate in the vehicles.

However, the cabbies maintained their taxis were safe and that most of the faults were minor. The police carried out checks on 68 vehicles in Boston, Grantham and Stamford and said they gave the all-clear to just 14, while 10 were banned outright.

THE Red Arrows were to begin operating out of RAF Coningsby for two months due to runway 
repairs being carried out at RAF Cranwell.

THOUSANDS on people in Boston and further south of the county were left without electricity following violent storms which swept the area early one morning.

Damage was widespread and around 25,000 households from Boston south to Spalding and the Deepings were affected.

PHOTO: Class of ‘97: Boston schools had been getting sporty as they made the most of the summer sun. youngsters around the town competed to be number one in sports day events. Pictured are pupils from St Mary’s and St Bedes’ Schools getting ready for a spot of kwik cricket.

25 years ago...1987

NINETEEN-YEAR-OLD Cliff Goldsmith could have provided his parents with an instant swimming pool after leaving an unexploded bomb in the back garden.

Cliff, of Peck Avenue, Boston, found the device while walking the dog at Wainfleet marsh but didn’t realise it was live.

“There were about 15 practise bombs just lying there,” he said. “I thought they were duds so I took one as a souvenir.

“It was really heavy and I kept dropping it on the way back to the car.”

Cliff took the bomb home but his nextdoor neighbour advised he contact the police who came out to inspect it. The RAF came out the next day to take the bomb away.

FIRE caused damage valued at £50,000 to the Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food’s experimental farm at Kirton. Firemen from Kirton and Boston took over an hour to contain the blaze which was believed to have been started by a faulty electrical wire. The farm was carrying out experiments on ways to store onions.

BATEMANS’ traditional triple X beer was voted champion premium bitter for the second year running in the county’s premier ale competition. And the same brew came second in the beer of the year contests making it a double celebration for staff at the brewery.

A record crowd turned out to the Revesby Country Fair – perhaps drawn in by the show’s main attraction – a huge Canadian bear. Visitors enjoyed several activities including a fancy dress competition, archery, clay pigeon-shooting and flower arranging.

35 years ago...1977

A HOWLING pack of stray dogs rampaged across Boston in the early hours of the morning terrifying local residents.

Postman David Robinson, 25, said it was not the first time this had happened and said he was living in fear of being mauled by the pack of about 10 dogs when he got up for work at 3am.

Mr Robinson, of Cotton Road, Boston, was one of four people who complained to the police about the dogs which were seen chasing after a bitch in season.

The dogs then roamed over the river, going through Cotton Road where Mr Robinson heard them howling.

A police spokesman said: “The police are aware of the problem of stray dogs roaming mainly in the Fenside area and no effort is spared to combat the problem. It would help if owners accepted full responsibility of ownership and didn’t allow their animals to stray.”

THREE youths who enjoyed a Sunday evening dip in the Haven were seriously risking their health, Boston’s chief environmental health officer said.

Peter McPhun said the sewerage poured daily into the Haven would definitely contain salmonella bacteria, possibly typhoid and there could be a risk of poliomyelitis, to name but a few.

The boys were reported to have jumped into the river from Haven Bridge several times.

“It’s highly contaminated and there is the risk of quite a number of diseases,” said Mr McPhun.

45 years ago...1967

A YOUNG housewife came ‘under fire’ from a mystery plane which dropped a bomb near her home. Fortunately for Judith Truepenny, of School Lane, Old Leake, it was only a practise bomb.

The incident happened in the morning when Mrs Truepenny was doing the washing in her bungalow home. “There had been a lot of planes flying about but I didn’t take much notice of them,” she said.

“I was at the kitchen window which looks out onto the front garden when suddenly I heard a bang and saw lots of sparks and smoke coming from something which had fallen at the edge of the garden near the road.”

Other residents also heard the bang and called the police. When they arrived and looked at the bomb they found the words ‘practise bomb’ written on it.

The RAF later came out to take the bomb away.

A DREDGER working in a stretch of Boston’s rivers pulled up an unusual Second World War souvenir.

The dredger turned out a propeller believed to have come from a Hampton bomber. A picture from the time shows the propeller at Boston’s South End, with visitors Mr W. Dettmar and children Frances and Harry who were taking a closer look.

AN AMBULANCE taking an accident case to hospital was itself involved in an accident in Wainfleet Road, Fishtoft.

Fortunately the accident with two other vehicles was just a minor one, with no injuries reporterd and the ambulance was able to carry on to its destination.

MEMBERS of Boston Kayak Club came away with six gold medals in the National Championships at Pangbourne, Oxfordshire. Pride of place went to 16-year-old Geoffrey Chester who became the national youth champion in the K1 500 metres. This was the third time running that he had won this class in regattas. Geoffrey, whose ambition was the next Olympic Games, only took up canoeing two years previously.