THE Seabank Marathon has been SAVED!
The Standard and Boston and District Athletic Club (BADAC) have joined forces to ensure the charity fundraiser goes ahead this year.
Last week we broke the news that the plug had been unexpectedly pulled on this year’s event – but The Standard and BADAC decided that couldn’t be allowed to happen.
“We are delighted that with the support of The Standard this year’s Seabank Marathon WILL be going ahead,” said BADAC development officer Peter Arnott. “We felt it was important for all of the schools, charities and smaller organisations that rely on the money they get from the Seabank Marathon that it goes ahead.”
He added: “Everyone associated with BADAC is delighted we are taking on the baton this year and we look forward to making it an amazing success.”
The event – now in its 34th year – raised £18,500 for good causes in 2010.
But Macmillan Cancer Support, who together with Boston’s Peter Paine Sports Centre has organised the event in the past, cancelled the 26-mile run between Boston and Skegness. This came after the news that Peter Paine would no longer be able to support the fundraiser and Macmillan feared they did not have the resources to go ahead alone. They have instead decided to invest in what they are stating will be a ‘much-improved marathon in 2012’.
But Mr Arnott and BADAC are convinced this year’s event can be a runaway success. And in the past, while the sponsorship money has been split – with 50 per cent going to the organisers and the remaining going to the fundraiser’s nominated cause – this year will see all-but £20 go to the runner’s charity of choice.
“We think this will be a real winner with people – they can nominate where all of their money goes,” said Mr Arnott. “All we ask for is a £20 entry fee – just as in previous years – for administration costs.”
The date of the marathon has been changed, from June 19 to July 17, allowing a little more time for planning. It will be run from Skegness to Boston, with a competitive trials race for serious runners followed by the fun run for fundraisers.
Standard editor Rebekah Gunn said: “We are delighted that the Seabank Marathon will continue. The Standard prides itself on being at the heart of the community and we have a duty to help ensure these events continue.”
l See next week’s paper for more details.