This week’s Boston Standard memory lane could shock you

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

45 years ago: 1967

BOSTON Corporation’s Estates Committee hit back at the cynics who thought that the fire which gutted the town’s Assembly Rooms a few months previously did not do enough damage. Some townsfolk thought that the fire damage should have been completed the job by pulling down the remains of the 120 year-old building. But the committee, led by chairman Arthur Lealand, held out against a barrage from all sides in their efforts to see the Assembly Rooms restored. Much of the work had already been undertaken with blackened debris cleared and rooms redecorated. Mr Lealand said: “When the public see the result of the work I’m sure they will consider our decision to reinstate the building to be the correct one.”

l PICTURED: A BUTTERWICK farm manager was called a ‘real powerhouse’ after revealing he suffered from static electricity. Harry Hull, who managed The Limes farm for meat exporters Frans Buitelaar, carried static with a real force behind it. The force was so strong that it had caused a collie dog to leap into the air when it sniffed his leg and a spark shot from his trousers. It also knocked back a 15-stone garage attendant when he tried to buy cigarettes and put his hand out to take his change. The strange condition was a worry for Mr Hull who began to feel the static shocks two weeks previously. “It’s giving me hell,” he said. “I’m afraid to touch anybody.”

l A BOSTON driver had a lucky escape when his car overturned at Eastville and rolled down the bank into Fotherdyke River. Mr G. Carlton, of Carlton Road, managed to get out the car and waded to safety after his car landed in four foot of water. His only injury was a cut hand.

l ‘LONG-haired, leather-jacketed coffee bar cowboys’ were given an unofficial warning to steer clear of Boston’s West Street Wimpy bar. The Wimpy said it was trying to change its image and was holding a party for old age pensioners to spearhead the new look.

Forty OAPs came to the new-look bar for a free meal. One of the restaurant’s directors said they took action because of all the damage young people had caused there.

35 years ago: 1977

The town’s newest school – Boston West Primary School, of Rosebery Avenue – was half destroyed by fire. Damage was put at a minimum of £100,000. The school, only halfway through its second term, was closed and its 180 children had to go to other nearby schools until Easter.

The blaze, which lasted about an hour, destroyed four of the seven classrooms and the library. Firefighters used a thousand gallons of water to tackles the blaze, the cause of which was being investigated. As it happened on a Saturday night, there was nobody in the school at the time.

l MANCHESTER United stars Gordon Hill and Steve Coppell were set to visit Boston to boost Boston and District Sports Council’s Jubilee Appeal for a sports and leisure centre in the town. Their visit on April 4 was arranged by Boston United’s Gordon Bolland, a friend and former colleague of Hill’s at Millwall. The visit was due to take place at Oldrid’s store.

l DESPITE the national trend, the number of unemployed people in Boston was continuing to rise. Figures showed a total of 1,638 registered as unemployed compared to 1,581, 11 months previously.

Although the number of jobless continued to rise there were plenty of job vacancies, said the Boston Employment Office, with over 30 per cent more than 11 months previously.

l A BOSTON family were forced out of their home after a faulty cistern flooded their house. Gillian and David Black and their five children had been waiting for the council workmen to fix the problem so they could move back in their home in Wheeler Close. They were staying with family in Woad Farm Road. Gallons of water poured out the cistern, lifted the lid off a drainage tank in their garden and forced sewage onto their lawn and left their house smelling.

25 years ago: 1987

SHEEP were savaged to death by a pack of killer dogs which attacked a flock of 571 in-lamb ewes. Three sheep with bite holes big enough to fit a man’s fist in had to be destroyed after the attack on the North Sea Camp detention centre’s estate. Six died in a muddy ditch and five of the scores of sheep which had been run into exhaustion died. Some of the ewes aborted their lambs and the total loss of lambs on the farm was at 30. Camp governor Jack Hanson said: “One of the most disgusting facts in this sorry story is that someone knows the guilty dogs and has cleaned them up.”

l NOISY aerobatics by RAF Coningsby’s Tornado aircraft was to be drastically reduced following complaints from residents about the disturbance they were causing. The number and frequency of displays was to be cut by a third.

l A SEVENTY-NINE-YEAR-OLD Boston man had a double escape when fire ripped through his workshop after a gas explosion. Arthur Smith, a retired precision engineer, had just left his workshop in Wyberton Low Road, and was in his neighbouring house when a build up of gas from an unlit bunsen burner ignited. The explosion sent flames roaring though the 60-foot length of the building, blowing out the window and melting plastic

15 years ago: 1997

BOSTON United was chosen as one of only a handful of clubs in the country to take part in a pioneering new scheme for young people mixing football with studies. The innovative project, which was being launched in the summer, would see students spend half their time on the football pitch and half their time in the classroom. The Standard confirmed that Boston United was one of only five in the country to be picked for the PASE (Professional Academic and Soccer Excellence) schools.

l BOSTON market was to be moved to West Street during the May Fair, councillors decided. The plan was hatched after a consultation meeting between Boston Borough Council and the Boston Market Traders’ Committee decided West Street, with traffic restrictions, would be the most suitable site for stalls. Borough director of development, Paul Edwards, said that although this year’s relocation was a trial it might be used every year if successful.

l BOSTON’S eager wait for the ‘finger lickin’ good taste of Kentucky Fried Chicken was over when the food giant KFC store finally opened. The 40-seater restaurant and takeaway launched in its prime Market Place spot after workers spent about seven weeks transforming the former chemist’s shop.