BOSTON and its surrounding villages have been warned that flash floods could be on the way – despite the fact the area has been in official drought for almost two years.
Anglian Water has slapped the area with its first hosepipe ban in more than 20 years after the driest period in nine decades, yet the Environment Agency has predicted the area could be hit by the floods.
In fact, the agency said the current dry spell has heightened the risk, as the ground is too dry to absorb the water which falls during storms.
Craig Woolhouse, Environment Agency head of flood incident management, said: “As the drought in England continues, the thought of flooding may be far from people’s minds, but we cannot ignore the risk.
“Dry and compacted ground means that there is a greater risk of flash flooding if there is heavy rainfall, and stormy seas and high tides can produce floods at any time.”
Water levels in the area have been at an historic low for the last 18 months, pushing the area into drought and forcing the hosepipe ban which came into force earlier this month.
Lincolnshire is so short of water that provider Anglian Water has announced plans to ship it in from other parts of the midlands covered by Severn Trent Water.
Up to 30 million litres of raw water – enough for 100,000 homes – could be transferred from Birmingham to Gainsborough under the proposals.
Yet despite the shortage, burst pipes remain a problem. On Thursday, residents in Almond Walk in Boston were faced with getting wet feet as they crossed the street, after a burst pipe flooded the road.
One onlooker even reported seeing a duck swimming on the pool, which was left on the road for several hours until Anglian Water could fix the unknown cause of the burst.