Woodhall Spa man, 54, assaulted his daughter at her Coningsby home


A 54-year-old grandfather sobbed as he was banned from seeing his daughter and her family for the next year following his sentencing at Skegness Magistrates’ Court for assaulting her.

Steven Chaney of Dornoch Close, Woodhall Spa, admitted assaulting his daughter Melanie Handley and her husband Daniel by beating at their home at King’s Manor, Coningsby, on January 13.

At court yesterday (June 7), Dan Pietryka, prosecuting, said Chaney had gone round to their home, pushed his way in and, during a disagreement, had struck his daughter to the side of her head.

He said Chaney then went upstairs, saying he was looking for his wife, and when confronted by his son-in-law, Daniel, pushed his head back against a wall.

Mr Pietryka said his daughter then ran upstairs and Chaney grabbed her by the arm, causing bruising, and slapped her, and he then ‘ran out’ of the house.

He said that Chaney denied the assaults to the police and told them he believed they had made up the allegations.

Mitigating, Mark Hudson said Chaney had a dependent personality disorder and that he had gone round to his daughter’s home to look for his wife because he thought she was having an affair.

He said Chaney, who appeared in court on crutches, suffered from arthritis and denied going up the stairs nor running out of the house as had been said.

He said Chaney alleged his son-in-law came down the stairs to him and tripped and he had grabbed him.

Asking the magistrates not to impose a restraining order against Chaney, Mr Hudson said he was a man ‘of good character’ and there had been no issues since the incident in January.

“He didn’t go to their house looking for them but for his wife and he has her full support,” said Mr Hudson.

“They happened to be in his way at that particular time.”

Chaney, whose wife sat beside him holding his hand throughout the hearing, sobbed as magistrates imposed a two year conditional discharge with £100 in costs and charges, and also ordered a restraining order against him in relation to his daughter and her family for 12 months.