Benington take home points thanks to eight-goal Bank job

Saturday league football action at Rosebery Avenue, Boston. Kirton (red) v Westside (yellow).'Chris Rollings (kirton), Rick Elsom (Westside)
Saturday league football action at Rosebery Avenue, Boston. Kirton (red) v Westside (yellow).'Chris Rollings (kirton), Rick Elsom (Westside)

Taylors Garages Premier Division

BILLINGHAY Athletic and Spilsby Town provided a mighty close encounter which was decided by a stunning Matt Barker strike.

The Spilsby play-maker fired home a fierce drive into the top corner to secure all three points for the visitors following a hard fought 1-0 victory. Billinghay, on the other hand, will feel disappointed that they didn’t end up with something to show for their efforts, despite having to play the second half with ten men after Lee Marshall was dismissed for violent conduct.

l KIRTON Town endured a miserable day when they entertained Skegness Town Reserves following a 4-1 home defeat at Graves Park. Chris Hilton provided the home side’s only highlight when he scored the side’s lone goal to make it 1-1, but Kirton conceded two more goals before the break to trail 3-1 at the interval and they never recovered after that.

Skegness sealed victory with a fourth in the second period. Josh Whittam hit two for Skegness while James Bland and Michael Parnham grabbed the other match-winning goals.

l OLD Doningtonians bounced back after their heavy home defeat on the opening day when they produced a superb team performance at Old Leake, returning home with maximum points following a fine 2-1 away win. Jonny Butler opened the scoring for The Dons before a harsh penalty brought Old Leake back into the game at 1-1, Adam Wright converting from the spot. The visitors were not to be denied however, and Oliver Gedney popped up with the winner.

l WYBERTON suffered a setback before their first game of the season when striker Daniel White was ruled out through injury for the home game against Pointon. With Dean Seiner also missing as he tests his striking abilities with Pinchbeck in The Peterborough League, Wyberton manager Gary Frost was relieved to have Danny Maddison available once again after his venture away from the club last season. Maddison came to his side’s rescue with a clinching goal with Tyrone Chase grabbing the other in a 2-1 victory.

Pointon’s goal came from Sam Husband

l SWINESHEAD have already earned the tag of ‘Comeback Kings’ after their opening two games in The Premier Division. They recovered from 2-0 down at Donington on the first Saturday of the season to take the three points and last Saturday, they were at it again as they came from 3-0 behind to salvage a point with a 3-3 draw when they entertained Freiston. The visitors must have thought victory was in the bag following goals from Mark Williams who scored twice and Fraser Bayliss but Swineshead stormed back in the second half to snatch a draw with goals from Jeff Hickey, Scott Hempsall and Jack Houghton.

Taylors Peugeot Division One

BOSTON United Community’s miserable start continues with their young side conceding a hatful of goals once more. This time it was Skegness United Reserves who was boosting their goal average with a 17-1 away win. For the record the goalscorers were Lee Orrey 6, Adam Broom 3, Jobe Stainton 3, Dan Halliday 2, Lee Johns 2 and Gavin Marshall. United replied through Jake Lamyman. Boston, in their defence, had a few key players missing and they will be hoping that they make a swift return to the side before their monumental task of taking on Moulton Harrox in The Lincs Junior Cup.

l WRANGLE United travelled to Spalding Town and produced a solid team performance to take all three points following a resounding 6-1 away win. Spalding started brightly and Wrangle were forced to defend stubbornly early on but the visitors gradually took control after withstanding the early pressure. The breakthrough took a while coming, however, although Wrangle controlled most of the play and they had to wait until four minutes before the interval to break the deadlock when Bobby Smith netted from close range after the ball had been headed back across the face of the goal. Wrangle continued where they had left off in the second half and it was no surprise when Chris Shipley nodded his side further in front. It was Shipley again who made it three from the penalty spot before manager Darren Bevan threw on all his three substitutes with half an hour remaining. It was one of the substitutes, Tom Hill, who made an instant impact, heading home from close range to make it 4-0. Spalding finally reduced the arrears when they caught the visiting defence napping with a quickly taken free-kick, only for Wrangle to add another through Scott MacKay, following good work from Tom Hill. Chris Shipley had the final word when he completed his hat-trick with a fine 20-yard drive to make the final score 6-1.

l ADAM Mitchell struck a hat-trick for Wainfleet United in their home game against Pointon Reserves but he still found himself on the losing side as the visitors hit back with four goals to run out 4-3 winners.

Mark Smith scored twice for Pointon while Dan Simpson and Oliver Cooper were also on target for the visitors

l IN ANOTHER high-scoring encounter at Spalding Harriers, Billinghay Athletic Reserves edged out their opponents by the odd goal in nine.

Spalding’s goals came from Arron Doherty 2, Marcin Minczynski and Allan Lawrence, but it wasn’t enough to earn any reward as they went down 5- 4.

l FREISTON Reserves and Mareham United shared the points following a 1-1 draw.

Reece Coddington hit the Freiston goal while Mareham’s goal came from Ryan Benson.

l IN CONINGSBY’S match against Wyberton Reserves Danny McNamara struck a match-winning hat-trick while Stuart Thompson also got on the scoresheet.

Taylors Ford Division Two

QUEENS Rangers got their season up and running following their promotion and they wasted no time in showing their intentions with a 3-2 home win against one of the early season favourites, Ruskington Rovers. The Boston side had to come from behind with a fine second half performance to take their first points of the season. Rovers held a 1-0 half time lead before Rangers hit back with goals from Shane Brackenbury, Lewis Emmanuel and Nathan Bourne. Ruskington pulled a goal back in the dying minutes to make it 3-2 but Queens held on for three valuable points.

Both of the Ruskington goals came from Luke Llewellyn.

l HOLBEACH Bank chalked up their first points of the season following their relegation when they defeated Coningsby Reserves at home. Luke Chilvers and Ben Westlake hit the all-important goals for the Bank.

Coningsby replied through Jamie McFee

l NELSON continued their impressive start following a 4-0 away win at Leverton with Liam Shinn hitting a fine hat-trick. Ben Swift also got on the scoresheet for the visitors.

l DESPITE travelling to Mareham United Reserves without a recognised goalkeeper, Fosdyke produced a superb team performance as they rattled home double figures in a 12-1 win. Mareham’s cause wasn’t helped when they had one of their central defenders dismissed for violent conduct after just fifteen minutes and Fosdyke took full advantage scoring at regular intervals. Matt Howden hit four of his side’s goals while there were hat-tricks for James Munn and substitute Tommy Watson. Dan Sansam was rewarded for his hard work in midfield with a brace to make the final score 12-1.

l WESTSIDE Rangers got back on winning terms with a 4-2 home win against newly promoted Kirton Town Reserves. Matthew Bates 2, Paul Barker and Michael Langley were all on target for Rangers.

l SUTTERTON got their season off to a winning start at Park United. A single Ian Bircumshaw strike in the first half proved to be enough to take the three points following a 1-0 away win.

Taylors Vauxhall Division Three

NEW side Benington Reserves proved far too strong for Holbeach Bank with striker Tim Bell hitting two of the home side’s goals in an 8-0 home win. Ben Hardstaff and Lee Hoff also struck two goals apiece while Lewis Trevor and an own goal completed the scoring.

l ANOTHER of the new teams, Sutterton Reserves, got their season underway but, despite Ben Spindler scoring twice, they went down 4-2 at home to F.C. Hammers. Sutterton held a slender 1-0 at the break through Spindler’s close range header although The Hammers had enjoyed a good share of the possession and they went close with a thumping header from Jamie Taylor which sailed just over the bar. Sutterton keeper, James Hodgetts was also impressive pulling off several fine saves to keep his side in front. The Hammers started brightly after the break and they were rewarded with a well taken goal from Jack Tate before an inspired substitution saw Scott Bates enter the action and he wasted no time in making his mark with a superb goal after turning his marker. Tate added another fine goal to make it 3-1 before Spindler pulled a goal back following a corner to set up a tense finish. The Hammers looked unsettled late on until Kristian Taylor stepped up to settle the match with a thunderous volley from thirty yards out. For The Hammers, man of the match Lance Hardy was inspirational throughout. Final score 4-2.

l FRISKNEY started their season with a comfortable 4-0 home win against Tulip F.C. with Ryan Lowe scoring twice. Lowe’s double and another from Lee Bradley put Friskney well in control at the break and they wrapped up the scoring with a fourth when Phil Hodgson scored with ten minutes remaining to make the final score 4-0. Tulip had squandered a golden chance to get on the scoresheet but they missed a second half penalty.

l A DISJOINTED first half display saw Fosdyke Reserves trail 1-0 at the break in their home encounter against Spalding Harriers Reserves. The hard working visitors took the lead following a sliced clearance which fell to a grateful Spalding forward who duly despatched the chance.

Fosdyke improved in the second half and they drew level through a Drew McGuire penalty following a handball offence in the area. But their joy was short-lived, however, as Spalding edged back in front following a long ball upfield which was misjudged by the home keeper and he unfortunately could only manage to punch the ball into his own net.

Fosdyke threw everything forward during the last twenty minutes but 
the Harriers held onto their slender 2-1 win.

l BURGH United made the lengthy journey to Pointon ‘A’ for their opening fixture and they failed to gain any reward following a 3-1 defeat.

Goals from Cryss Stoffel, Alex MacMahon and a Ryan Andrews penalty secured maximum points for Pointon.