Boston Saturday Football League: Round-up

Tim Evan in action for Fishtoft Reserves, who lost 3-1 to Holbeach Bank.
Tim Evan in action for Fishtoft Reserves, who lost 3-1 to Holbeach Bank.

Neil Johnson’s latest round-up of the Boston Saturday Football League...

Wyberton took the lead inside the opening five minutes through Danny Maddison’s well-executed free-kick, but Benington got back on level terms midway through the opening period when Sam Louth stabbed home from close range. Daniel White then restored Wyberton’s lead before half-time, and the visitors then had to withstand a sustained period of Benington pressure after the break. However, a second equaliser proved elusive for the hosts despite going close on several occasions and, when Wyberton added a third with 25 minutes left, the visitors took a firm grip of the contest. A quick-fire double then sealed the points for the visitors, with Ben Hardstaff’s late header proving nothing more than a consolation for Benington. Wyberton’s final three goals came from Dan White for his second goal of the game, Elliott Pogson and Ben Jacques

Recent signing Jasper Caudwell proved to be Billinghay’s star-man when they won 7-0 at Skegness Town Reserves. Caudwell struck four goals while Matthew Newell grabbed two and Mark Wheatley the other.

Old Doningtonians recorded a 2-1 away win at Graves Park against Kirton Town, Kyle Graves and Martin Fox netting the winners. Town replied through an own goal.

Two goals from Matty Barker helped Spilsby Town to a 3-0 home win against Fishtoft. Jack Bache grabbed the other goal for Spilsby as Fishtoft continue to build a side capable of competing in the top flight after their promotion.

In an eventful match at Swineshead, visitors Old Leake went down by the odd goal in five. The match proved to be a physical encounter as some of Old Leake’s new faces were lining up against their former side and this added an extra bit of spice to the encounter – there were three yellow cards to each side. Antony Slater gave Old Leake the lead after 10 minutes before Swineshead levelled with a goal which had a suspicion of handball about it. Ex-Swineshead striker, Bert Snaith then edged Old Leake back in front just before the break when keeper, Andrew Stukins dropped the ball at the lurking forward’s feet. Old Leake had their chances to extend their lead but Swineshead levelled the scores with 15 minutes remaining when they were awarded a penalty when Mitch Griffiths brought down a forward who had broken clear. The penalty was despatched and, at 2-2, the game appeared to be heading for a draw, but Swineshead snatched victory with a couple of minutes remaining when they broke through to grab the winning goal with the Leake defence appealing, in vain, for offside.

Spalding Town produced a spirited performance in their home Division One encounter against table-toppers Freiston Reserves, before ending up empty-handed following a 3-2 defeat.

Spalding rocked their high-flying opponents with two Tomasz Rabiega goals to lead 2-0 before Freiston fought back to level.

The visitors snatched victory with a last-gasp winner, their goals coming from Lucky Singh, Reece Coddington and Perrie Dale.

Wrangle United preserved their unbeaten record with a 4-2 away win at Billinghay Athletic Reserves.

Wrangle opened the scoring after 16 minutes when Scott Mackay pounced to score, before Billinghay levelled the scores on the half hour mark when a cross was finished off at the far post.

Wrangle responded in style by regaining their lead five minutes before the break when Sam Duff beat a couple of defenders and fired home from the edge of the box.

This was Duff’s first goal of the season and the much-needed boost of ending his barren spell gave Wrangle a lift and they went further ahead soon after the break when Dan Anderson headed home from a corner.

Mackay then grabbed his second goal of the game on the hour to make the game safe for the visitors.

Wrangle continued to enjoy the majority of possession for the remainder of the match, although Billinghay reduced the arrears to 4-2.

In-form Wyberton Reserves earned three more points as they enjoyed a hard-fought 2-0 victory against a spirited Spalding Harriers side. Nicky Syndercombe was on target twice, netting the game’s two goals.

Old Dons Reserves caused a major upset, beating fancied Sutterton 2-1 in the Taylors Ford Division Two. Nick Wing took temporary charge of the Dons, who saw Jack Piggott (pen) and Jamie Francis score the winning goals. Jamie Welsh scored an own goal but Sutterton could not capitalise further.

Leverton put Coningsby to the sword with a thumping 12-2 victory. Hat-tricks for Adam Busby and Alex Tilley were added to by braces for man-of-the-match Matt Joyes and second half sub Connor Wroot. The rout was completed with a first goal of the season for Will Gosling and an absolute screamer from Steve Green.

Ruskington Rovers hit Mareham United Reserves for six in their home match with Matthew Leonard grabbing two of his side’s goals. Mark Ward, Mark Nemeiksas, Liam Kishere and Ryan Unwin were all on target for Rovers in a 6-1 home win.

The top of the table clash between Nelson and Fosdyke finished all-square following a 2-2 draw. Liam Shinn and Tim Rowland grabbed The Nelson goals. However, hitting back for Fosdyke were Nicky De Vries and Tom Watson.

In the Taylors Vauxhall Division Three, Pointon A inflicted a first defeat upon leaders Swineshead Reserves. Ryan Andrew, Alex MacMahon and Josh Scott scored in a 3-2 win as Swineshead replied through Giles Favell and an own goal.

Travis Herberts struck twice for Spilsby Town Reserves in their 3-1 away win at Fosdyke Reserves. Toby Smith was also on target for the visitors as Ben Charlton replied for Fosdyke.

There was another 3-1 away win at FC Hammers. There, Burgh United returned home with all three points. Scott Bates grabbed The Hammers’ consolation goal.