Boston Saturday Football League: Round-up

Local sport from the Boston Standard, Lincolnshire:, on Twitter @standardduncan
Local sport from the Boston Standard, Lincolnshire:, on Twitter @standardduncan

Neil Johnson rounds-up the Boston Saturday Football League action from the weekend - or, at least, the one game that went ahead...

The heavy rain on Thursday was followed by torrential downpours on the Saturday morning and the already-saturated land just couldn’t take anymore soakings.

Only one game survived and that was in the Premier Division where Swineshead Institute hosted Kirton Town, and this caused major problems for the visiting camp as they had five players drop out on the morning of the match.

However, Dale Atkinson frantically gathered his troops together at the 11th hour and, in the end, did muster 1 players with the 12th man arriving in time for the second half.

Wrangle United were also struggling for players after several players cried off on the morning of their match at leaders, Freiston Reserves.

The Danny Flear Centre Playing Field which was one of the first games to be postponed seven days earlier, was, on this occasion, one of the few matches still to remain on after lunchtime.

Nigel Birtwistle, of Wrangle United, had the agonising decision of finally withdrawing from the fixture as he didn’t have the permitted seven players or more to make the trip.

Mr Birtwistle was clearly disappointed as he understood on Friday that if further rain fell onto the saturated surface the match would struggle to go ahead.

The matter will have to discussed at the January Management Committee meeting but the Wrangle camp have conceded that they expect to forfeit the three points and accept the mandatory £25 fine.

So to the one and only game that got underway in the Premier Division where, at Swineshead, the referee passed the playing surface as fit.

The match saw a strong Swineshead team hit six past a depleted Kirton Town team.

Chris wing scored the opener from a Jack Houghton cross and then, after a slick move of 12 passes, Ben Houghton fired in a cross for Tim Tyler to tap in the second goal.

Jon prue slipped ball through to Chris Wing who made a killing pass for new signing, Ben Houghton, to rifle home the third goal to put the home side well in control at the interval.

The second half saw Kirton make a substitution in an effort to try and get back into the game but Swineshead remained on top and Ben Houghton scored his second goal of the game with an easy tap-in after Paul Clarke’s shot at goal resulted in Andy Baker letting the ball slip through his hands leaving Swineshead’s new-boy with an easy chance.

Ben Houghton completed his hat-trick when he played a one-two with Chris Wing and drilled the ball past the Kirton keeper.

The sixth and final goal came from a fierce 30-yard shot from ex-Kirton player Mark Ledger, who fired straight into the top corner before Town’s frustration’s started to get the better of them and Josh Smith received a yellow card for a reckless challenge.

Smith then thought he had grabbed a consolation goal but, his effort was ruled out for offside and he then runied his day by arguing with the match official who brandished a second yellow card and suddenly Kirton’s miserable day was almost complete.

Things were just getting worse for the visitors as Martin Durrant also had an effort ruled out, again for offside.

The game was well refereed by John Mowatt on a very wet but playable pitch.

Although second-placed Wyberton have five games in hand, the much anticipated clash between the top two on April 6 already looks vital in the championship race.

Their previos encounter, at the end of September, ended in an amazing comeback victory for Wyberton following a 4-3 home win after they had earlier trailed 3-1.