Boston Saturday Football League season review: The Cups

Freiston Reserves celebrate! Below: Wyberton won the Sports Cup.
Freiston Reserves celebrate! Below: Wyberton won the Sports Cup.

Neil Johnson concludes his five-part look back at the local league campaign by casting an eye over the knockout competitions...

In The Lincolnshire Junior Cup, there were some good performances, notably in round two where Old Leake beat Clayton Sports 5-3 away from home - with Bert Snaith hitting a hat-trick.

Wyberton FC.

Wyberton FC.

Benington came from 2-0 behind before eliminating Heckington United 5-2.

On the same day, Wyberton defeated Nettleham 4-2 at home.

Both Wyberton and Benington were drawn together for round three and The Causeway side eased through 7-1, while Old Leake went out at Barnetby United by the odd goal in nine.

Wyberton finally bowed out of the competition at the quarter-final stage when they returned home from Ruston Sports empty handed following a 2-1 defeat.

Ruskington Rovers claimed some notable scalps on their way to The Sharman Burgess Sports Cup final, starting with a 1-0 victory in round three against Billinghay Athletic, and then seeing off Kirton Town in the quarter-final 3-2 after extra time.

Swineshead were also edged out in the semi-final before Wyberton finally put the brave underdogs in their place in the final with a 7-0 victory.

Billinghay and Swineshead made it through to the Barclays Brokers Willoughby Cup final (Swineshead making sure Wyberton didn’t get a clean-sweep by knocking them out in the semi-final 2-0).

Billinghay’s fine first half performance earned them the Cup, although Swineshead threatened to force extra time but couldn’t quite grab an equaliser as they eventually went down 2-1.

Second Division side Fosdyke caused some giant-killing feats in the Target Newspapers Challenge Cup, starting with a 3-2 home win over First Division Spalding Harriers, but left their best performance until the final when Matt Howden’s fine hat-trick secured a superb 3-0 victory against Division One side Coningsby.

Wyberton Reserves and Freiston Reserves comfortably made it through to the Main Ridge Take Away Reserve Cup final, with big semi scorelines.

In The Willoughby Shield, Freiston Reserves were also dominant crushing Swineshead Reserves 6-2 in the smi-final with a Fraser Bayliss hat-trick, while Kirton Town Reserves made it through after a fine 2-1 away win at Billinghay Reserves.

Not surprisingly, Freiston Reserves lifted both trophies to make it a terrific treble for them beating Wyberton Reserves 2-0 and Kirton Town Reserves 5-1.

Wyberton also lifted The Fishtoft Cup, although Woodhall Spa United gave them a few scares along the way.