Boston Saturday Football League: weekly round-up

Action from Benington v Heckington last week.
Action from Benington v Heckington last week.

Neil Johnson’s weekly round-up of the Saturday Football League...

Benington overcame a two-goal deficit and double injury blow to take the scalp of Heckington United in the Mason Bros Lincs Junior Cup.

The Boston Saturday League Premier side battled well to beat the Lincolnshire League outfit.

Things looked ominous for the hosts when they conceded two goals inside the opening 25 minutes and then lost striker Sam Louth through injury.

However, Tim Bell and then Jamie Kuhn drew them level before Jason Cade also left injured.

Tim Bell, Nick Ward and an own goal completed the fightback.

Old Leake hit five goals to win 5-3 at Clayton Sports.

Bert Snaith grabbed a fine hat-trick, with Antony Slater and Kieran Stocks also on the scoresheet.

Wyberton enjoyed a fine win to move into the next round when they entertained Nettleham.

Goals from Reece Young, Curtis Yeatman, Jordan Dixon and an own goal saw them through following a 4-2 victory.

Spilsby Town went desperately close to causing a shock at AFC Ruston before finally bowing out 5-4 after extra time.

Toby Smith (two), Dan Smith and Jordan Smith were the Spilsby scorers.

Wrangle United went agonisingly close to causing an upset when they travelled to play Lincs League side Skegness Town.

After trailing 2-0, United levelled through free kicks from Jon McLeod and Jack Hill.

In extra time, Sam Duff was sent off for Wrangle before McLeod put them in front.

But two strikes from Skegness put them through and left Wrangle heartbroken.

In the Taylors Garages Premier Division, Kirton Town came out on top of the day’s big game at Graves Park, where Swineshead suffered their first defeat of the season.

The visitors got off to a storming start by taking the lead through striker Chris Wing, who netted the opener after just five minutes.

Town levelled after the break through James Hardy, and then it was a case of two penalties for the home side which finally decided the outcome.

One was converted while the other was missed. Nathan Rivett was hero and villain as he netted the first spot-kick to put his side in front, but when Kirton were awarded another penalty to put a seal on the game he fired his effort over the crossbar.

Chris Bampton struck both of the Billinghay goals in their 2-0 home win against lowly Freiston.

Fishtoft looked to be heading for their first win of the season when they entertained Pointon on a very heavy pitch.

The home side found themselves leading 2-0 before a penalty began Pointon’s fightback, the visitors winning 5-2.

Pete Coonan and Simon Hyland scored the goals for the shell-shocked Fishtoft.

Leaders Freiston Reserves overpowered Billinghay Reserves, their 8-1 win seeing them scoring 50 goals in 10 games.

Lewis Brooks (three), Reece Coddington (two), Perrie Dale (two) and Lucky Singh all got on the scoresheet for the home side.

The-bottom-of-the-table clash in the Taylors Peugeot Division One saw Jack Draper grab Woodhall Spa’s last-gasp winner against Wainfleet.

Spalding Town produced their best performance of the season when they entertained high-flying Wyberton Reserves.

Even without leading goalscorer, Tomasz Rabiega, Spalding came out on top following a 3-1 home win.

Ashley Burton (two) and Daniel Kingman were on target as Wyberton replied through Leon Marsh.

Kurt Crossley struck a hat-trick for Skegness United Reserves in their 4-2 home win against Spalding Harriers.

The other Skegness goal came from Jake Bell.

Coningsby had a superb away win at Pointon Reserves.

Danny Jones, Stuart Thompson, Will Laird and Steve Morgan netting in a 4-1 win.

The big clash in the Taylor’s Ford Division Two saw leaders Fosdyke suffer their first defeat... at Ruskington Rovers.

Coincidentally, Ruskington edged into top place following their hard-fought 3-2 home win.

Ruskington lead 2-0 at half-time.

But the second period was a different story after Fosdyke tightened up their formation, and they were rewarded with a Nicky De Vries goal after he seized onto a flicked header from Marv Jolly.

Dan Sansam squeezed home a low shot for the equaliser before rattling the crossbar.

However, Ruskington rallied and grabbed the winning goal from close range.

Amazingly, second-placed, Nelson also suffered their first defeat of the season when they slipped to a surprise 5-3 defeat at the hands of Westside Rangers at Rosebery Avenue.

Jody Betts proved to be a real menace to Nelson all afternoon, firing home a fine hat-trick for his side.

Neal Wheatley and Michael Langley also got on the scoresheet to shock the Nelson camp, who hit back through Liam Shinn (two) and Darryl Bray.

Leverton continued their recent run of fine form with a comprehensive 4-1 win over Sutterton.

Adam Busby, Nathan Rippin (two) and Steve Green got the goals for Leverton, who now move up to second position in the table.

The only match to be lost to the weather last weekend was at Tattershall Road, where the game between Park United and Queens Rangers was called off because of a waterlogged pitch. Fishtoft Reserves could no field a side at Coningsby Reserves.

Swineshead Reserves hit seven at Spilsby Reserves in the Taylors Vauxhall Division Three.

Leading scorer Giles Favell found the net four times.

Meanwhile, Dan Thompson scored and Mark Sharman claimed a brace in a comfortable 7-1 victory.

FC Kirton won 2-1 against Friskney, the crucial Kirton goals coming from Will Newton and Rhys Cox.

Fosdyke Reserves won 5-2 against FC Hammers.

Andy Brown hit a hat-trick and new signing Dan Brackenbury also netted on his debut.

Fosdyke’s fifth goal saw a defender turn into his own net.