Boston Standard Saturday Football League season review: Division Three

Swineshead's Giles Favell.
Swineshead's Giles Favell.

Neil Johnson looks back on a campaign which went down to the wire...

Tulip FC, who were a new side to the league, got off to a great start in Division Three by defeating Spalding Harriers Reserves in a 1-0 home win.

However, both sides experienced a reverse in fortunes as Tulip struggled at times, culminating in their decision not to compete in season 2013/14.

Meanwhile, the Spalding side proved to be serious contenders for promotion for much of the season.

Swineshead Reserves had to wait until the second Saturday in September to get their campaign underway and it started well enough with a 4-0 away win at FC Hammers - with striker, Giles Favell hitting a hat-trick.

Woodhall Spa Reserves decided to withdraw their second string side before a ball was kicked so fixtures were hastily re-arranged.

Swineshead Reserves were held to a 4-4 draw at home by Fosdyke Reserves, with Andy Brown hitting a hat-trick for the visitors at the end of October, while Spalding Harriers Reserves trounced Sutterton Reserves 8-0 with Jamie Robinson scoring four of the goals.

The big two met at Swineshead Reserves in November, with the Harriers holding their rivals to a 2-2 draw while Friskney were going quietly about their business, and they showed their intentions in early December to keep the pressure on with an 8-2 home win against Spilsby Reserves with Greg Brown hitting five of their goals.

There was a moment of high drama at Fosdyke Reserves during the first Saturday of 2013 when FC Kirton went down to a 4-3 defeat.

Mayhem broke out on the sidelines during the match and, following the aftermath of events, the Fosdyke club decided to withdraw their second-string in support of The FA Respect campaign.

Swineshead Reserves managed to edge out a 2-1 away win at Friskney in week two of the New Year with Giles Favell netting one of the goals, but were then held to a 2-2 draw at home by FC Hammers.

Tulip conceded 10 goals at home on March 9 to Burgh United, who finished in the top half of their debut season.

Swineshead crashed to a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Burgh the following week.

Swineshead’s wobbles continued with a 3-2 home defeat by a strong Benington Reserves side before they gained a hard-earned point following a 1-1 draw at Spalding Harriers Reserves.

On the same day, Friskney defeated Burgh 2-1 to remain in the hunt.

Friskney were finishing really strongly and Greg Brown struck four of their goals in a 5-2 away win at Tulip, but Swineshead earned a valuable point in a 3-3 draw at Burgh to keep their noses in front.