Boston Town 0 Holbeach United 4: Tigers get the better of the Poachers

Local sport from the Boston Standard, Lincolnshire:, on Twitter @standardduncan
Local sport from the Boston Standard, Lincolnshire:, on Twitter @standardduncan
Share this article

Four second-half goals saw Boston Town go down in their Lincolnshire derby with Holbeach United.

A Mitch Griffiths brace, plus goals from Tommy Treacher and Jonny Allen were enough to send John Chand’s side top of the United Counties League Premier Division by nine clear points.

Earlier this season, Town were the first side to take a point from the Tigers following their goalless draw at Carter’s Park.

But there was no similar outcome tonight at Tattershall Road.

Although neither side found the net in the opening 45 minutes, there were enough chances to indicate there wouldn’t be a repeat of the 0-0 draw.

Town’s defensive abilities were called upon early in the contest, with Ollie Pinner and Jason Field having to clear goalbound efforts.

Keeper Tom Roberts also made vital saves to deny both Jason Turner and Griffiths.

But Town also had their own chances, twice ratling the Tigers’ cross bar.

Ben Good’s looping header and Matt Barber’s free kick both struck the woodwork.

And when Callum Stocks looked to be clear, a late flag denied him a crack at Michael Emery’s goal.

After the break, Lori Borbely was left with his head in his hands as his volley flew inches wide of the Holbeach goal.

But after that, the away side flexed their muscles.

Tracher handed them a 57th-minute lead, albeit with a hint of good fortune.

His outstretched boot deflected a clearance beyond Roberts from 20 yards.

Town were infuriated, claiming Pinner had been fouled in the build-up, but the goal stood.

Twelve minutes later and that lead was doubled, Griffiths firing a superb low drive beyond the helpless Roberts.

Again there was controversy for Holbeach’s third, which arrived on 72 minutes.

Griffiths neatly tucked away his second from the penalty spot after Turner was adjudged to have been tugged back in the penalty area.

The fourth goal arrived with 13 minutes left, Allen nodding home Luigi Rocco’s right-wing cross with Roberts rooted.

At the death Town should have earned a consolation goal, but a fine reaction save from Emery denied Luke Wilson from close range,