Boston Town 0 Sleaford Town 0: Mixed emotions following derby draw

Callum Stocks in action against Sleaford.
Callum Stocks in action against Sleaford.

Boston Town boss Ian Dunn was left with mixed emotions after his side earned a goalless derby draw with Sleaford Town on Monday.

Reflecting on the point after the match, he wasn’t sure whether to celebrate another clean sheet or rue what might have been.

“I was annoyed right after the match,” Dunn told The Standard.

“I thought they were there for the taking.

“But when I think about it more, I reckon we could be happy with the point.

“Sleaford are a tough side to break down and they were never going to come here and roll over for us.”

One of the reasons Dunn wasn’t too disheartened was because of the growing injury list in the Poachers dressing room.

On loan Lincoln City defender Ryan Leggett picked up an injury during Saturday’s victory over Cogenhoe United and influential midfielder Lori Borbely was also a spectator, serving a one-match suspension.

To add insult to injury, captain Michael Wood picked up a knock and had to be replaced at half time.

But even before kick off, Dunn’s wife - club physio Chloe - was already putting in overtime.

“Usually we have one or two players coming in for a rub down before the game,” Dunn added.

“But on Monday it was 10.

“I’ve never seen anything like it before.

“We ran out of steam after about an hour, so in a way I’m pleased we kept the clean sheet.”

The last time these two Yellowbelly rivals met was at Eslaforde Park on Boxing Day.

On that occasion, the Poachers kick-started their successful second half to the season with a 2-1 victory.

Borbely looked to have won it with an 86th-minute strike, only for Kris Jones to level with a strike from distance.

But Borbely did have the last laugh on that day - where debutant Town keeper Callum Bastock was taken to hospital following a head collision - firing home a 97th-minute winner.

It could be argued all the excitement was used up in the first contest as the two opponents failed to really create many chances on Monday.

But for Town, it was a valuable point and a second clean sheet in three days.

The Poachers began their weekend well with a 2-0 victory over Cogenhoe.

Their chances were helped early on following a sending off for what appeared to be an attempted headbutt.

And with Cogenhoe pushing on, their numerical disadvantage left gaps for the Poachers to exploit.

Two fine finishes from Callum Stocks and Shane Clancy settled victory, although Josh Ford had a penalty saved with the scores level.