A Fair result! Ben says Boston United deserved late victory

Ben Fairclough.
Ben Fairclough.
Share this article

STOPPAGE-time hero Ben Fairclough believes Boston United were always going to snatch victory at Corby Town.

The forward headed home a Pilgrims winner in the third minute of stoppage time at Steel Park yesterday.

Delroy Gordon had put the hosts in front before the break, prodding home a loose ball in the Boston box.

A trademark free kick from Ian Ross brought the scores level, before Fairclough snatched victory with a last-gasp finish from close range, following another game on penalty-area pinball.

And after grabbing the winner, Fairclough admitted he felt United were on course for victory after having the edge all game.

He said: “We worked hard as a team all day. We dominated them, so we were disappointed to see them take the lead.

“But we showed good character to come back.

“We always said we’re a fit and strong team and there’s no reason why we can’t keep going for 90 minutes, especially against them, who didn’t pass it around a lot.”

Fairclough was part of a small but pacy three-man attack, alonmgside Marc Newsham and Spencer Weir-Daley.

And together, the trio were enjoying running at the Corby defence.

“The centre backs weren’t very mobile, so we were chopping and changing up front and they didn’t like it,” Fairclough added.

“They were dealing with high balls but on the floor they didn’t fancy it.

“Hopefully, we can get a nice little run now until the end of the season.

“We deserved it, we worked our socks off all day. You could see how much it meant to get the goals.”

Corby will be sick of the Pilgrims’ late shows.

In the reverse fixture, Tyrone Kirk grabbed United a late leveller with an apparent ‘ghost goal’ which was allowed - although the ball seemingly never crossed the line.

United boss Jason Lee - a former Corby player - agreed that his side had the better of the play.

He said: “We definitely deserved to win. We were excellent today, from start to finish.

“Going in 1-0 down at half time was a real blow because, for 35 minutes, we controlled the game.

“We had possession, worked hard and were on top, but we were sloppy at a corner and we were a goal down.” The boss pointed the finger of blame at defender Tom Ward for the goal conceded, but was still full of praise for his young centre back.

He added: “Young Ward was at fault because he was marking the guy who headed the ball down.

“With Wardy you get the good and the bad, but there was more good from him today - he was excellent.

“To a man, the boys put in a high-quality performance.

“Everybody was annoyed and angry at half time, but we caused them all sorts of problems. As a late as it came, we deserved to win the game.”

Town had keeper Chris Mackenzie to thank for keeping them in the contest for so long, as he pulled off a number of saves to deny the likes of Weir-Daley, Ross and Danny Sleath.

Newsham also struck the crossbar for Boston.

At the other end, Paul Bastock made a n acrobatic stop to deny Jordan Smith.